Views
Helpful
Replies

From which cat os and device support layer 3 routing

Anjan Kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mates,

i would like to know which cat os supports or devices supports layer 3 routing?

bcoz , i want to make VLan with VTP

Thanks

Anjan

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VLAN and VTP  is NOT Layer 3 routing.  What appliance running CatOS are you talking about?  What's your design.  Judging from your line of questioning you've got everything working against you.

Hi,

i would like to make inter routing between Vlans.....so i dont have any router which supports subinterface with dot.q encapsulation.

thinking.....instead of setting up router on stick i can make it with layer 3 switch.

so what you suggest for this?

thanks

Anjan

Do you have the appliance yet or are you still sourcing?

i dont have appliance...

Actually  my network is having these devices.

1.Cisco 2948G-GE-TX ----1no

2.Cisco 2950 ------3 no

3.Linksys -------4no

4.HP Procurce----5no

i think no where i can configure VTP with non cisco devices, there is only one solution is manual vlans.

can you give me some sugessions ....

Thanks

Anjan

Groan!

Geez.  If you don't need additional ports for the Layer 3 CatOS switch, then I recommend you get a cheap Cisco router to do your dot1q trunking.  The router you need should have FastEthernet or GigabitEthernet WAN ports.

Like I mentioned in my first post, what you are trying to do is a prime candidate for failure.  I have no idea what the Linksys and HP Procurve you are using can/can't do particularly with dot1q trunking.

I do pray that this is not a production network.

Thank you brothers

anjan

Hello Anjan,

post a sh module of:

1.Cisco 2948G-GE-TX ----1no

a specific routing engine is required to perform intervlan routing it is not only a question of CatOS version.

if that part is missing as suggested by Leo you could go for a 3560 multilayer switch

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mates,

i would like to know which cat os supports or devices supports layer 3 routing?

bcoz , i want to make VLan with VTP

Thanks

Anjan

Anjan,

As suggested by Leo vlan with vtp is normal function of switches it is not related with layer 3 routing, any how checkout the below link on intervakn routing support on cat series switches.Hope that clear your query !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bf9a.shtml

Ganesh.H

Arup Dutta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Anjan,

you should go through hardware 3650 to on words.3650 is smart L3 switch.

i hope you will helpfull.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card