cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover ISP connections

pixteam2007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, my purpose is to have two ISP connections for to have connection failover for my public server.

I have a web server and mail server and I would that when primary ISP connection is down automatically my public servers are available with second ISP connection, but is possible to have failover connection for the inbound traffic with two different ISP ? therefore with different public IP address ?

For my purpose do I can use the model Cisco1841 ?

Thanks.

-

Salvatore.

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi David

This is very much possible but you need to make sure that you have both the IPs mapped to the host name in the DNS(nx records) so that when the primary link is down and the ip is unavailable you will be able to resolve using the secondary ip.

Regarding the router selection how much bandwidth you are going to procure from your service providers? any scope for future upgrade or growth ?

you need to make sure that you scope for the future upgrades as well so that you dont necessarily need to change the router when you want to upgrade the bandwidth.

regds

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, my purpose is to have two ISP connections for to have connection failover for my public server.

I have a web server and mail server and I would that when primary ISP connection is down automatically my public servers are available with second ISP connection, but is possible to have failover connection for the inbound traffic with two different ISP ? therefore with different public IP address ?

For my purpose do I can use the model Cisco1841 ?

Thanks.

-

Salvatore

Salvatore,

For inbound load balancing for web servers it can be achive by publishing the public ip address in your authorative DNS server,you can have in bound load balancing but in DNS it is basically roun robin method as default so it will be well suited with equal isp bandwidth at the client end for unequal it wont be that much helpful.

As suggested by prem it depends on the requiremen and capicty planning for future bandiwdth and traffic to suggest the internet facing routers.for high level bandwidth we can suggets 3800 series at data center level.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi, my purpose is the management of fail-over of my primary line connection (primary ISP), for now the load-balancing isn't requested.

For our webserver and smtp server I use our primary name server and secondary name server, the target is when the primary ISP connection is down automatically the dns name (for example for www.mysite.com) point to new IP address of secondary ISP.

For example I have:

With primary ISP connection is up:

www.mysite.com --> 1.2.3.4 (my ip public for web site with the primary ISP)

nslookup www.mysite.com --> 1.2.3.4

now the primary ISP connection is down and automatically:

www.mysite.com --> 5.6.7.8 (my ip public for web site with the secondary ISP)

nslookup www.mysite.com --> 5.6.7.8

primary name server (microsoft dns server): 1.2.3.5

secondary name server (microsoft dns server): 5.6.7.9

with this situation what Cisco product is just for me ?

On the Cisco product (in fail over scenario) can be good use name server configured on Cisco product ?

Regards.

-

Salvatore.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card