Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password Recovery for CISCO 6509 Switch

Hi Friends,

I have one CISCO 6509 Switch in my store. I tired to login in that switch but couldnt.. Once it's booted it's asking me: rd: . Can any one help me to fix. Find the attachment. I recover the password by changing confreg value but that also failed. can any one help me.

Thanks,

Tamilvanan.S

9 Replies 9

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Friends,

I have one CISCO 6509 Switch in my store. I tired to login in that switch but couldnt.. Once it's booted it's asking me: rd: . Can any one help me to fix. Find the attachment. I recover the password by changing confreg value but that also failed. can any one help me.

Thanks,

Tamilvanan.S

Hi Tamilvanan,

Check out the below link for password recovery procedure for 6500 series switches

http://www.ciscosystems.li/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_password_recovery09186a0080133fb1.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hi Ganesh,

I already tried this method. but once confreg changed it's not going thrg by pass mode. can you get it from my attachment.

Pls help me to get it fixied.

Thanks,

Tamilvanan.S

Hi Ganesh,

I already tried this method. but once confreg changed it's not going thrg by pass mode. can you get it from my attachment.

Pls help me to get it fixied.

Thanks,

Tamilvanan.S

If you are in native IOS, the config-register you need to change is the one from the MSFC (RP).

When the 6500 is booting up it will start in the Switch Processor (SP), decompress the image and then you'll see:

*****  Changing ownership to route processor ******

Here is where you want to interrupt (ctrl + break) and change the register

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hi Ganesh,

Thanks a lot for ur reply.

I tried that method also. but it's falied. can u suggest some other method.

Thanks,

Tamilvanan.S

Can any one help me to recover the password. Pls find the attachment.

Thanks,

Tamilvanan.S

This is the only method from Cisco.  Can you please let us know WHY the process isn't working for you?

I believe you have tried a lot of stuff, and honestly i have never seen any of them not working. Either you are missing something or you are doing something wrong.

I would suggest open a TAC case and they will do it for you and if it doesnt work then you will get a replacement.

regards,

Varun

Many thanks Ganesh... It worked perfect for me today (crtl+break) while ownership on RP.

Regards

Ahmed...

ashirkar
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tamilvanan

Did you check " remote command switch sh bootvar" command.

What boot variable value it is showing ?

Regards,

Ashish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco