Views
Helpful
Replies

unity 4.0.3 to unity connection

mark.carroll
Level 1
Level 1

hi everyone

looking for the fastest path here, have unity 4.0.3 stand alone server, want to go to connection, COBRAS wont work until 4.0.5 so thats out, I guess I have to upgrade to 4.0.5 but looking at the docs the upgrade procedure looks horrible and Im finding it hard to make sense of it really, it almost seems like you have to rebuild box, cant i just download the newer ver of unity and install it? server had exchange 2000 by the way

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In my experience, I have come to the conclusion that most Unity "upgrades" are pretty much complete rebuilds or in-place rebuilds of some type.  To get from 4.0(3) to 4.0(5) using DiRT is a long process.  If you want to keep your data, then the process you read is what you think it is.  A rebuild.  There really isn't a simpler way here.  Unfortunately, the best way to migrate to Unity Connection is to use COBRAS but you need to get to 4.0(5) to do so.  Otherwise, you can't migrate any data over from your current version.

So, unfortunately the answer to your question is no - you can't just download and install the newer version of Unity and install it.  The upgrade procedures and DiRT processes used to retain your data are outlined as what they are.  Unless you are willing to do a new install of CUC and start fresh, then you're path for upgrading/migrating is a long one.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In my experience, I have come to the conclusion that most Unity "upgrades" are pretty much complete rebuilds or in-place rebuilds of some type.  To get from 4.0(3) to 4.0(5) using DiRT is a long process.  If you want to keep your data, then the process you read is what you think it is.  A rebuild.  There really isn't a simpler way here.  Unfortunately, the best way to migrate to Unity Connection is to use COBRAS but you need to get to 4.0(5) to do so.  Otherwise, you can't migrate any data over from your current version.

So, unfortunately the answer to your question is no - you can't just download and install the newer version of Unity and install it.  The upgrade procedures and DiRT processes used to retain your data are outlined as what they are.  Unless you are willing to do a new install of CUC and start fresh, then you're path for upgrading/migrating is a long one.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

great

I know...it's not what you wanted to hear, but it's an honest answer.  Good luck with it.  If you have any other questions, let us know.

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: