Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Reflection

massipace
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'd like to have more information about "Multicast reflection" feature, I found in CCO only a configuration guide with no answer to my issue, I'd like to use the feature in PIM Dense mode network while in the config guide only PIM Sparse-mode implementation is explained. Is it possible to use in PIM dense-mode?

thank you

Massimiliano

5 Replies 5

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

massipace wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to have more information about "Multicast reflection" feature, I found in CCO only a configuration guide with no answer to my issue, I'd like to use the feature in PIM Dense mode network while in the config guide only PIM Sparse-mode implementation is explained. Is it possible to use in PIM dense-mode?

thank you

Massimiliano

Massimiliano

As far as i know it is not supported in PIM dense mode because the reflection feature uses a virtual interface to rewrite the packet and this virtual interface is on the RP (Rendevous Point). PIM dense mode does not use RPs.

Jon

Reading the configuration example in docs (thanks Calin) I guess the RP and the Vif are on the same router although this is not esplicitly said.

The question is:

Why the Vif and the RP have to be on the same router? Multicast Reflection must

see the join message to the RP AND the associated multicast streaming for proper natting?

this configuration is not required if I have to translate only the source of the multicast stream, maybe the explicit or implicit join is related to this issue?

Massimiliano

massipace wrote:

Reading the configuration example in docs (thanks Calin) I guess the RP and the Vif are on the same router although this is not esplicitly said.

The question is:

Why the Vif and the RP have to be on the same router? Multicast Reflection must

see the join message to the RP AND the associated multicast streaming for proper natting?

this configuration is not required if I have to translate only the source of the multicast stream, maybe the explicit or implicit join is related to this issue?

Massimiliano

Massimiliano

If you only want to change the source of the multicast stream then why not just use NAT as you cannot use the multicast reflection feature anyway.

Jon

the task require that receivers in one organization can be able to join sources in other organizations (maybe two, three or more companies are all connected togheter in a LAN or using WAN point-to-pont connections), implementation of msdp or MBGP advertising multicast sources and networks is forbidden, the domains must be completely separeted and each organizations already have its own multicast service with sources in private range of ip addresses RFC1918 and multicast groups in 239.x.x.x range, each organization have its own multicast PIM domain using SSM, PIM-SM or PIM-DM.

Multicast reflection feature seems to be the perfect solution to my problem, but some aspects are still unclear, you can always use multicast reflection in all PIM networks, you said it is not applicable for PIM-DM domains,wath for SSM? where to put the border router? where to put the RP?

thanks

Massimiliano

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: