Views
Helpful
Replies

506E Pix Access Issue

Charlie Mayes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I have a Pix 506E and do not have the password or any configuration information for it. How do go about resetting it to it's Factory Defaults Manually? I really need to access this thing. I have a console cable plugged into it and it just keeps prompting me for my password.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

iketurner931 wrote:

Hello Guys,

I have a Pix 506E and do not have the password or any configuration information for it. How do go about resetting it to it's Factory Defaults Manually? I really need to access this thing. I have a console cable plugged into it and it just keeps prompting me for my password.

You are going to have to use the password recovery procedure for the Pix. See this link for details -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_password_recovery09186a008009478b.shtml

Jon

Jon the problem I have is I went to this site before posting this discussion and one of the steps state

Use the address command to specify the IP address of the PIX Firewall's interface

I have no Idea what that is since I have never been in this firewall so how am I supposed to TFTP the password reset file?

1. Install a serial terminal or a PC with terminal emulation software on the PIX console port.

2. Verify that you have a connection with the PIX, and that characters are going from the terminal to the PIX, and from the PIX to the terminal.

Note: Because you are locked out, you only see a password prompt.

3. Immediately after you power on the PIX Firewall and the startup messages appear, send a BREAK character or press the ESC key. The monitor> prompt is displayed. If needed, type ? (question mark) to list the available commands.

4. Use the interface command to specify which interface the ping traffic should use. For floppiless PIXes with only two interfaces, the monitor command defaults to the inside interface.

5. Use the address command to specify the IP address of the PIX Firewall's interface.

6. Use the server command to specify the IP address of the remote TFTP server containing the PIX password recovery file.

7. Use the file command to specify the filename of the PIX password recovery file. For example, the 5.1 release uses a file named np51.bin.

8. If needed, enter the gateway command to specify the IP address of a router gateway through which the server is accessible.

9. If needed, use the ping command to verify accessibility. If this command fails, fix access to the server before continuing.

10. Use the tftp command to start the download.

11. As the password recovery file loads, this message is displayed:

Do you wish to erase the passwords? [yn] y 
    Passwords have been erased. 

Note: If there are Telnet or console aaa authentication commands in version 6.2, the system also prompts to remove these.

12. The default Telnet password after this process is "cisco." There is no default enable password. Go into configuration mode and issue the passwd your_password command to change your Telnet password and the enable password your_enable_password command to create an enable password, and then save your configuration.

iketurner931 wrote:

Jon the problem I have is I went to this site before posting this discussion and one of the steps state

Use the address command to specify the IP address of the PIX Firewall's interface

I have no Idea what that is since I have never been in this firewall so how am I supposed to TFTP the password reset file?

You can specify any address you like ie. it does not have to be the address that is actually configured, just an address that will get you connectivity to the TFTP server. Easiest thing to do is to connect your PC with a tftp server to the inside interface with a cross over cable.

Jon

Thank You because I thought that was find of weird.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card