Unity 7.02 ES35 and Exchange 2010

Unanswered Question
May 17th, 2010

We are in a mixed mode environment where we have Exchange 2003 as the partner exchange server. we also would like to plan on migrating mailboxes over to 2010. we applied ES35 and all the necessary patces and server updates, however, when users on 2010 access their mailbox via TUI, they get a failsafe message saying "your messages are not available now".

Unity event viewer generates a log with:

Event Type:        Error
Event Source:      CiscoUnity_MALEx
Event Category:    Error
Event ID:          30007
Date:              2010/05/11
Time:              09:50:51
User:              N/A
Computer:          UNITY01
An error occurred while AvCsMgr tried to logon to MAPI mailbox
/o=KILROY/ou=ElSegundo/cn=Recipients/cn=(name of users)on server KRCWMCDAG1.
The MAPI subsystem return the following error: The information store
could not be opened..

I opened a TAC case and they saw bugs related to this only when 2010 was the partner exchange. we decided not to pursue further.

is there a workaround to get this working or when will Cisco have a patch to get this fixed.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
David Hailey Mon, 05/17/2010 - 09:40

When you run Unity with a mixed environment including Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2003, the partner server MUST be the Exchange 2007 server.  I don't see that this would have changed with 2010 - especially with the changes to MAPI in Exchange 2010.  I'm fairly certain you need to run the Message Store Configuration Wizard (as well as the Permissions Wizard - first, actually) to grant permissions on the 2010 mailstore and actually configure your system's partner exchange server as the 2010 server.

Please rate helpful posts!

kiru Mon, 05/17/2010 - 09:47

we ran the message store config wizard and permissions first. nothing worked. and we are on exchange 2003 and according to the doc for unity and exchange 2010 you can have either as partner.

David Hailey Mon, 05/17/2010 - 09:55

My bad for assuming the Partner Server rule wouldn't have changed.  In looking at the guide again, I see there is a quick blurb on using Mixed Mode without 2010 as the Partner Server.  My feeling is that you'd have to retrace your steps in the configuration first.  I dont have a lot of customers with UM moving over to Exchange 2010 - mainly because they are unsure on how Unity will be affected.  I wouldn't advise that you do too much experimenting with the Partner Server config.

If I were you, I'd get that TAC case open again and work with them directly on this issue.  Probably going to be more effective than going back and forth on the forum for an issue of this impact (i.e., not working at all).

kiru Mon, 05/17/2010 - 09:59

Hi David

I did open a TAC case and they could see in their database that there were still bugs relating to the error message that unity spat out but it was when exchange 2010 was partner. this should have been tested before releasing ES35. cust is not in a rush to migrate yet but they will soon.

David Hailey Mon, 05/17/2010 - 10:03

Out of curiousity, have you tried to set up the Exchange 2010 server as the partner to see if there is any change in the behavior you are seeing?  If not, I understand - just curious especially given the previously hard rule regarding Exchange 2007/2003 mixed environments.

kiru Mon, 05/17/2010 - 10:06

no way. if something messes up with their exchange 2003 mailboxes i'd be in trouble!!!

i'll have to wait till cisco fixes the bug.

This Discussion