Views
Helpful
Replies

When to use iBGP

johnny.schultz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We will be upgrading our network to include an additional 7206 router this weekend and would like to get some advice on some of the design with BGP.  Currently we have one router with 2 BGP sessions and we will be taking one BGP session off the existing router and putting it onto the new router.  The thing I am wondering is if I should run iBGP between the 2 routers.  Both routers will store full internet routing tables and we will be using policy routing for outgoing traffic from specified subnets to be sent out a particular ISP.  I have a simple route map and ACL for this policy routing and I would like to provide redundancy for the policy routing.  I have attached my configuration and changed some of the IP addresses for privacy.  Thank you in advance for any advice.

-Johnny Schultz

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Johnny,

to provide appropriate redundancy I would add the iBGP session between your two border routers the current one and the one you are going to install.

You will need also to adapt the PBR rules to the fact that you introduce a second border router. the iBGP session helps the routers in performing routing.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card