cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

translating incoming dnis

dkite
Level 1
Level 1

We have a T1 that previously has only been used for outgoing long distance. The plan is to get some new 800 numbers that will be incoming on the same T1. I understand that I can use a translation rule to map the incoming dnis to the internal dn that we want it to go to.

My question is: do I have to have separate dial-peers configured, each with its own "incoming called-number" statement to do this, or can I have a generic dial-peer that matches all incoming calls on that T1, and references one translation rule with multiple entries?

This is on IOS 12.4(24)T2 / CME 7.1 on a 2851.

Thanks,

Doug

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Doug,

Inbound calls will match a dial peer on "incoming called-number", "answer-address", "destination-patter" and voice port, in that order. See the following link for further explanation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml

That being said, with this config, incoming calls to 79XX will match dial peer 9. All other calls will match dial peer 10. You could also simplify this to one dial peer for all incoming calls:

dial-peer voice 10 pots

description inbound 800 numbers

incoming called-number .

translation-profile incoming from800

direct-inward-dial

The translation profile would only take effect when the called number matched one of those configured in your voice translation rule. Otherwise, the digits would just be passed through.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Doug,

You can have one dial peer that matches all incoming calls and use a voice translation rule to translate the numbers. Depending on the number of DIDs that you have, you may run into a limitation with translation rules - each voice translation rule can only 15 rules. If you need more translations, other options are the "num-exp" command and secondary numbers on your ephone-dn's.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

I would like to know how to do bulk administration to integrate users with Outlook Mailbox into Unity Connections?  Is there a CSV file that will do that and where can I find it.  Users are trying to automate the process of having users create the mailbox on desktop

Voice-port 0/0/0 is a local ISDN PRI that the normal incoming DID calls come in on. It has the following dial-peer set up:

dial-peer voice 9 pots
description inbound from PRI
incoming called-number 79..
direct-inward-dial
port 0/0/0:23
forward-digits 0

Voice-port 0/0/1 is the (CAS) T1 used for long distance (and soon the incoming 800 numbers). If I set its dial peer like this, will it interfere with the inbound on the other port (the wildcard on called-number concerns me):

dial-peer voice 10 pots

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

port 0/0/1:0

voice translation-rule 2
rule 1 /8001111111/ /7997/

rule 2 /8002222222/ /7998/

voice translation-profile from800
translate called 2

Should that config work?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Doug

Doug,

Inbound calls will match a dial peer on "incoming called-number", "answer-address", "destination-patter" and voice port, in that order. See the following link for further explanation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml

That being said, with this config, incoming calls to 79XX will match dial peer 9. All other calls will match dial peer 10. You could also simplify this to one dial peer for all incoming calls:

dial-peer voice 10 pots

incoming called-number .

direct-inward-dial

The translation profile would only take effect when the called number matched one of those configured in your voice translation rule. Otherwise, the digits would just be passed through.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: