cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity Connection: Cisco Unity Assistant: Show Parameters?

Brian Lavallee
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to scale down the available options in Cisco Personal Communications Assistant/Cisco Unity Assistant?

There are a few controls in CUC Administration that translate to options available in CPA/CUA.  Such as the ability for a user to choose if they are listed in the directory.  But I need to remove Transfer and Screening, Notification Devices, Contacts, and Private Lists before I can expose the interface to my user base.

Oddly, CUC Administration shows CCMUser Enterprise Parameters where I would expect to see CUA settings.

Thanks,

Brian

Cisco Unity Connection version: 7.1.5ES7.10000-7

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Brian,

Most of these are controlled via the settings done on the Subscriber COS For the PDL question

I'm not sure if you can do anything further than setting the Max @ 1

Alternate Extensions

While you specify alternate extensions for individual users on their account pages, COS settings allow you to determine whether users can view and/or manage alternate extensions, and whether they can use the Cisco Unity Assistant to manage a set of their own alternate extensions. Consider allowing users to specify their own set, so that you can reduce the number of requests to enter extensions for user mobile phones, home phones, and other phones. When you enable users to manage their own alternate extensions, they can specify up to five alternate extensions in addition to those already specified for them by you.

Do the following procedure to specify whether users can view and manage administrator-defined alternate extensions, or manage their own set of alternate extensions. To learn how alternate extensions work and why you use them, see the "Alternate Extensions" section on page 4-56.

To Specify Whether COS Members Can View and/or Manage Alternate Extensions in the Cisco Unity Assistant

Step 1 In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, find the COS that you want to change, or create a new one.

Step 2 On the Edit Class of Service page, under Alternate Extensions, check either or both of the following check boxes:

•Allow Users to View Administrator-Defined Alternate Extensions

•Allow Users to Manage Their User-Defined Alternate Extensions

Step 3 Click Save.

Call Screening and Call Holding

The Call Transfer settings in a COS specify whether users can use the Cisco Unity Assistant or the Cisco Unity Personal Call Transfer Rules web tool (as applicable) to change call screening and call holding options. (If users are enabled to use personal call transfer rules, they find screening and holding options in the Cisco Unity Personal Call Transfer Rules web tool, not the Cisco Unity Assistant.)

Screening and holding options allow users to specify how Cisco Unity Connection handles calls that are transferred from the automated attendant or a directory handler to user phones. The options that are potentially available to users differ depending on how you set up call transfers to work for each user account. (See the "Call Transfer, Call Screening, and Call Holding" section on page 4-6 for information on how call transfers work.)

Do the following procedure to specify whether users can manage their call screening and holding options.

To Specify Whether COS Members Can Manage Call Screening and Call Holding Options

Step 1 In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, find the COS that you want to change, or create a new one.

Step 2 On the Edit Class of Service page, under Call Transfer, check one or both of the following check boxes:

•Allow Users to Change Call Screening Options

•Allow Users to Change Call Holding Options

Step 3 Click Save.

Enabling and Disabling the Personal Call Transfer Rules Feature

Do the following procedure to enable or disable the personal call transfer rules feature for users in a COS.

To Enable or Disable Personal Call Transfer Rules for COS Members

Step 2 On the Edit Class of Service page, under Features, do one of the following:

•To enable personal call transfer rules, check the Allow Users to Use Personal Call Transfer Rules check box.

•To disable personal call transfer rules, uncheck the Allow Users to Use Personal Call Transfer Rules check box.

Step 3 Click Save.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/user_mac/guide/7xcucmac050.html#wp1069992

Cheers!

Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the answers, but they do not solve my problem.

Regardless of the COS setting, Cisco Personal Communications Assistant still provides access to functions I don't want to exposed to my users.  Functions such as 'Preferences>>Transfer and Screening' still shows transfer rules, only the personal call transfer rules are no accessable.

Sincerely,

Brian LaVallee

Hi Brian

Any Luck with restricting any of these settings?

Agree with Rob's answers which are great but my customer would like to block the transfer setting.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

While some of the setting do appear to disable functionality I do not wish to offer, the option is still presented to the users in the CPA/CUA menu.

My option was either draconian pattern restrictions for something like transfer settings -or- just don't let my users use CPA/CUA for self management.  Because we are a voicemail provider for a wide customer base, to avoid support calls asking why it doesn't work I had to go with the later.

Brian

Rob provided as much information as possible on what you can natively control for PCA via Unity Connection administration.  I've been doing some digging to see if there is anything I've overlooked in my work on the product and/or my research but nothing much else comes up.  So, there are limited modifications that you can make and they are noted in the link's Rob sent (+5 to him for that).  Although, this is probably not the answer you wanted to hear when you posted - I believe your options would be pretty much what you've stated and one potentially one additional one.

1) Use PCA as-is, restrict what you can, and train end users.

2) No access to PCA, Unity Inbox, etc.

OR

3) It may be worth a shot to work with TAC to see if you could modify the code for the application.  This is a Tomcat web app so it's not impossible that it could modified.  However, you want to see if this is supported (and I suspect, honestly, that the answer is no).  In addition, you'd need to know where the components are how to access them / restore them once complete.  You dont have root access to the CLI so this would likely require TAC assistance.  Again, I don't think this would be supported but it wouldn't hurt opening a TAC case to inquire.  You'll likely need to escalate beyond the first level support if you really want to dig into the topic a bit.

Just some additional thoughts.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi Hailey,

Yes, raising an issue with TAC and attempting to have the pages modified manually is an option that I could prusue.  The problem is I'll end up with a hack that could be wiped out by some future patch.  I hate having to reinvent the wheel (again and again).

Not providing self-management through CPA/CUA is the best solution for my situation.

Honestly, I beleive that the ability to hide/show menu options were included in the application code, but the programmer(s) used CCMUser Enterprise Parameters in CUC Administration as a placeholder and never changed it to CUA specific settings.

If you look at it, the contents of "System Settings >> Enterprise Parameters" are completely out of place and have nothing to do with Cisco Unity Connection.  This is where I would expect to see parameters such as "Show Notification Device Settings"

Brian

I agree that I don't and wouldn't want a hack in place because it may prove to be unstable.  However, the CUC Administration stuff is still seen in Unity Connection not as placeholders or by mistake but because CUC and CUCM share the same underlying platform code.  The components that are shared are obviously visible as you notice it when you look at the Unified Serviceability, Enterprise Parameters, and etc.  If you think about it, Unity Connection and CUCM were first built together on the CUCM Business Edition platform as a coresident install so there is overlap in the code and the parameters seen in the CUC interface.  They may add CU Admin parameters to that shared portion of code in the future - I wouldn't be surprised there.  But, since a single DVD/ISO of CUCM contains CUCM, CUC, and CUCM BE - that's where the overlap comes from.  Shared platform, multiple applications, and CUCM is the source for all 3.

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: