cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max flash card can be installed in 3620 router?

As far as I know,there are 2 types of Flash memory in 3620. 2 slots for SIMM inside,2 slots for CF card memory on Front panel.

SIMM sticks can be used in both 2600series and 3600series with a max single bank capacity of 16MB.(MEM3600-32FS doesn't work on 3620).

So that's SIMM DRAM sticks have different kinds,those for 2500 can't be used on 2600 or 3600.

Correct me if I am wrong.

What about CF card?Are they all the same except capacity,which means I can get a CF card can be used on any router with PC slot?

Is there also a max capacity limitation?

on http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/3600/hardware/notes/PCMCIA.html,it mentioned MEM3600-4FC=, MEM3600-8FC=, MEM3600-16FC=, MEM3600-20FC= 

my question are

1.is there a specific kind of CF card for 3600 series or I can use any CF card for Cisco equipment(so I don't need to worry about MEM3600)?

2.Does 3600(to be specific,3620) support CF card over 20MB?

I've never used CF Flash memory in Cisco routers before so I've no idea whether Im getting the right thing.

I've used CF micro hard-drive(4GB or 8GB) before,so what's the difference between the CF cards for regular use(like portable storage or camera) and the Cisco CF memory card.Obviously they have different slots(regular CF is way bigger),why the memory is still called CF and what's the connection with PCMCIA?Is it the same slot as those in laptops?

I guess CF is a storage or flash memory type,and PCMCIA(PC) is the slot standard.Then what's the slot of regular CF storage card?

I read a bunch of documents about these stuff and get really confused.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2 slots for CF card memory on Front panel

Errrr ... 3600 routers do NOT use Compact Flash (CF).  This particular model uses PCMCIA Flash memory cards.  CF was used starting from the 3700 and 2690.

You are correct.  Parts exclusive to the 3600 can't be used anywhere else.

What about CF card?Are they all the same except capacity,which means I can get a CF card can be used on any router with PC slot?

For the 3700 and 2691 the max size of the CF is 1Gb, 2Gb for  ISR G1 and 8 Gb for ISR G2.

I've used CF micro hard-drive(4GB or 8GB) before,so what's the difference between the CF cards for regular use(like portable storage or camera) and the Cisco CF memory card.

3620/3640/3660 routers use PCMCIA Flash cards (Type II).  Later generations use COMPACT Flash (CF) cards.

Don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2 slots for CF card memory on Front panel

Errrr ... 3600 routers do NOT use Compact Flash (CF).  This particular model uses PCMCIA Flash memory cards.  CF was used starting from the 3700 and 2690.

You are correct.  Parts exclusive to the 3600 can't be used anywhere else.

For the 3700 and 2691 the max size of the CF is 1Gb, 2Gb for  ISR G1 and 8 Gb for ISR G2.

I've used CF micro hard-drive(4GB or 8GB) before,so what's the difference between the CF cards for regular use(like portable storage or camera) and the Cisco CF memory card.

3620/3640/3660 routers use PCMCIA Flash cards (Type II).  Later generations use COMPACT Flash (CF) cards.

Don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

Thanks a lot.That's clear enough.

Are CF and PCMCIA cards also exclusive for models?

Are CF and PCMCIA cards also exclusive for models?

Hooooooooooooo boy!  Am I gonna get into serious trouble here from Cisco. 

According to Cisco, yes.  You have to buy from Cisco the necessary PCMCIA Flash or Compact Flash cards.

I hope you can read-between-the-lines. 

got u  

my point is model exclusive,routers of different series can use the same CF/PCMCIA?

No.  You can interchange PCMCIA cards from one Cisco appliance to another (from, say, 3600 to 7200 NPE) and same goes with the CF.  The most common mistakes people make when they upgrade the cards is they just insert them in without formating them on the appliance.

Thanks.

If I insert a card exceed the limitation,what should i expect?

In cisco 3620 documents it only mentioned PCMCIA up to 20MB(is it a limitation for PCMCIA slot or just Cisco doesn't have PCMCIA over 20MB for it) while the Flash can be up to 32MB.Will it work if I insert a 32MB PCMCIA?

If I insert a card exceed the limitation,what should i expect?

I've noticed that you have alot of posts all centred around the 3620.  The largest PCMCIA card I've seen is 64mb (anyone can refute my claims).  The 3600 can support this. 

is it a limitation for PCMCIA slot or just Cisco doesn't have PCMCIA over 20MB for it

Cisco doesn't have a PCMCIA card higher than 32mb (I think).

Will it work if I insert a 32MB PCMCIA?

Yes.  You can tell the 3600 router to boot from the PCMCIA card (called Slot0: or Slot1:).

Hell yeah.Those 3620s drives me mad.I still can't get them to work.

I see a bunch of cheap 128MB,256MB PCMCIA for 12000 PRP, PRP-1 & PRP-2 As well as Cisco 7100 series, 7120, 7140, uBR7111, uBR7114 Routers

not sure if they'll work in 3620 which has a limitation of 32MB max Flash.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If this thread is resolved can you please mark this thread as "Answered" please?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the ratings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: