Views
Helpful
Replies

Genuine Cisco 877w, or not?

tf2-conky
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I'm looking to purchase a used Cisco 877w off ebay for home.

I have no real basis to be suspicous(~$270USD seems a fair price), but are there any obvious questions I could ask to check if it is genunine Cisco, and not counterfeit?

TIA

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

tf2-conky wrote:

Hello

I'm looking to purchase a used Cisco 877w off ebay for home.

I have no real basis to be suspicous(~$270USD seems a fair price), but are there any obvious questions I could ask to check if it is genunine Cisco, and not counterfeit?

TIA

Counterfeit in what sense. I'm not aware there is a big market for counterfeit Cisco kit.

Jon

I'm aware of some counterfeit WIC cards (I don't recall if AIM-VPN cards were in the list) but have not yet seen a full unit.

I guess I'm just being cautious.  There have been several stories on /. over the past few years regarding counterfeit, or unauthentic Cisco gear inc routers.  You also hear *stories* about this stuff floating about in the greyware market etc.

Thanks for the replies.

The latest court conviction is about a group who's been selling fake components.  No one has yet been able to sell a full unit.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Caveat emptor (Buyer's beware).

When dealing with e-bay, you really can't tell whether an item is genuine, functional or even exist.  You have to make the judgment base on the seller's reputation.  You can also complain to e-bay if the goods are not what they are meant to be.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card