Dynamic trunking and etherchannel best practices?

Unanswered Question
May 18th, 2010
User Badges:

I am finding conflicting information about best practices with dynamic trunking and etherchannels formation and would like to know generally what is considered best path these days.  In older documentation Cisco has recommended you set trunk ports and etherchannels to autonegotiate instead of hard coded to "on".  Is this still the case?

Most peers I have asked seem to lean towards setting these to "on" on both sides now instead of using the auto negotiate portion.  Thoughts?

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
vvasisth Tue, 05/18/2010 - 05:36
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

I would recommend using Mode "on" it works like a charm in every scenario.

Regards,

Varun

Jon Marshall Tue, 05/18/2010 - 06:44
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

configt wrote:

I am finding conflicting information about best practices with dynamic trunking and etherchannels formation and would like to know generally what is considered best path these days.  In older documentation Cisco has recommended you set trunk ports and etherchannels to autonegotiate instead of hard coded to "on".  Is this still the case?

Most peers I have asked seem to lean towards setting these to "on" on both sides now instead of using the auto negotiate portion.  Thoughts?

I would also recommend setting to on and also disabling DTP ie. "switchport nonegotiate" which means your trunk link can come up quicker without having to wait on DTP to negotiate the link.

Jon

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content