cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic trunking and etherchannel best practices?

configt
Level 1
Level 1

I am finding conflicting information about best practices with dynamic trunking and etherchannels formation and would like to know generally what is considered best path these days.  In older documentation Cisco has recommended you set trunk ports and etherchannels to autonegotiate instead of hard coded to "on".  Is this still the case?

Most peers I have asked seem to lean towards setting these to "on" on both sides now instead of using the auto negotiate portion.  Thoughts?

2 Replies 2

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

I would recommend using Mode "on" it works like a charm in every scenario.

Regards,

Varun

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

configt wrote:

I am finding conflicting information about best practices with dynamic trunking and etherchannels formation and would like to know generally what is considered best path these days.  In older documentation Cisco has recommended you set trunk ports and etherchannels to autonegotiate instead of hard coded to "on".  Is this still the case?

Most peers I have asked seem to lean towards setting these to "on" on both sides now instead of using the auto negotiate portion.  Thoughts?

I would also recommend setting to on and also disabling DTP ie. "switchport nonegotiate" which means your trunk link can come up quicker without having to wait on DTP to negotiate the link.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card