Helpful
Replies

CSS 11503 primary cannot respond

csiracusa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem with a CSS 11503.

We have 2 CSS 11503 one as Master the other in Standby.

The Master since last 15/05/2010 do not respond and the old Standby become Master for all circuit.

The old Master can only respond to ping, all other features are not functioning. It cannot respond to ssh request and cannot respond on console CLI command (no output can be seen!!).

Now we have reloaded the old Master and now it is normally on.

I whould like to know if I can verify what it's happen on this device, the only log shown are about the state of the services.

If I prompt "show dump-status" it shows "Dump mode is enabled" and if I prompt "show core" it shows "<No files available>".

Can I have other information about what's happen?

Thanks

Best Regards

Cinzia

6 Replies 6

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What's the software version ?

And how long the box had been up and running before the failure ?

Gilles.

Hi,

the software version is 8.10.1.06 and this is the second time it's happen, the last time was 25 February. Before this date it was up and running for the last 4 years!!

I have attached the showtech script play.

Thanks

Cinzia

Is there any news?!

Thanks

Cinzia

We would need to enable the "killer_ping" feature so that we can force the box to crash when the situation occurs again.

So, you should better open a service request with the TAC to get assistance on setting up the killer ping function.

Gilles.

Hi there,

You are not alone, we've been experiencing exact same problem since April on CSS11503. We have a few of these and associated this with the upgrade to 8.20.4.2. These had also been stable for years beforehand. We have a TAC case and have enabled 'killer ping' for the same reasons - no core files, no log details...

Good luck, if we find anything I'll update. We are also about to move to the newest 'Safe Harbor' due to the TLS/SSL re-negotiation bug (CSCtd01636).

Regards,

David.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Regarding the console, remember that the CSS 11500 uses a special "rollover" console cable. The standard blue cisco console cable that works with your routers and switches etc. will not work with a CSS. Your display will show the text as a CSS boots etc. but you cannot enter text without the correct cable type.

Reference http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/contnetw/ps789/products_tech_note09186a00800a3f28.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: