Aironet 1310 configuration

Unanswered Question
May 18th, 2010

Hello,

I have two identical Aironet 1310 APs, and I am having trouble configuring them for a particular scenario (see attached JPG):

I have one "fixed" network that has a router and a switch, with some wired and wireless clients. The wireless nodes are associated with an SSID on the Aironet 1310. My other network is a "mobile" network with the 1310, a switch, and some wired and wireless clients. What I want to be able to do is have the clients on the "mobile" network be on a different SSID, but still ping back to the router on the "fixed" network. However, the "mobile" network must still be self-contained, i.e. if the wireless link between the two APs is lost, the "mobile" network should still be able to ping each other, but still be able to ping the router when the link is reestablished. I have managed to get the first part to work when the "fixed" AP is in "root bridge with wireless clients" mode, and the "mobile" AP in "non-root with wireless clients" mode. However, when I disable the radio on the "fixed" AP, the "mobile" AP loses the connection as well, and the "mobile" clients are unable to communicate with each other.

Is what I need even possible? I am currently working on the assumtion that it's a configuration issue that I'm missing. I appreciate the help.

Leor

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dancampb Tue, 05/18/2010 - 12:28

When you put a AP or bridge into non-root mode the radio will go into a reset/down status until it finds a root bridge to associate to.  I did some testing in my lab and regardless if you use vlans or non-root wireless-client modes the radio interface will always go down when its not associated to a root bridge.  When its reset clients won't be able to associates.  If you had any dual radio AP's you could make this setup work by making one radio the bridge and the other radio the client access.

leor.bleier Tue, 05/18/2010 - 12:31

I was under the impression that the 1300 series had two radios. Is this not the case?

leor.bleier Tue, 05/18/2010 - 14:45

What about the Aironet 1240AG? It looks like it could meet my requirements.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content