Question regarding password reset IPS module

Unanswered Question
May 18th, 2010

Is there someway I can reset an unknown password for IPS? The default password "cisco" is not working

Show version shows following information

Mod SSM Application Name           Status           SSM Application Version

--- ------------------------------ ---------------- --------------------------

1 IPS                                                         Up               5.1(7)E1

I tried to follow guidelines provided in doc and this is not working for my version.

They mention in the same doc that a complete recovery is necessary but I have no idea how to accomplish this. Any help is appreciated....

Edwin Kok

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jennifer Halim Wed, 05/19/2010 - 01:42

Unfornately you can't reset the IPS module password from the ASA when the IPS is running version 5.1.7(E1) as it is a very old version of code.

Here is a couple things to check to perform password reset on IPS prior to IPS reimage:

Last option is to perform system reimage (you will loose the configuration). If you are going to perform reimage, I would recommend that you reimage it to the latest version of IPS, ie: 7.0.2(E4).

Hope that helps.

Jennifer Halim Wed, 05/19/2010 - 14:42

Correct, you need to go down to the "Installing the AIP-SSM System Image" section, and download the correct system image from download site. Different AIP module has different system image, so please obtain the correct one, as there is AIP-10, AIP-20 and AIP-40.

Here is the actual section for your reference:

Hope that helps.

This Discussion