VPN Failover for Data/VoIP through ASA 5520 or 7204 VXR

Answered Question
May 18th, 2010
User Badges:

I would like to setup a VPN failover for my remote sites using broadband 3dn/1up.  These are mainly 2800series routers.    I have as options for hub termination a Cisco ASA Active/Standby pair and a 7204 VXR.  Voice and Data will be going down the failover VPN and I plan on  having QOS/Traffic shaping in place in order to best serve the needs for VoIP as possible.  I need to do this on about 150 sites. My questions are:

1. Which is better for this the ASA or the 7204

2. Will VoIP packets flow through both the same way

3. As far as redistribution of routes can I use GRE on an ASA or should I keep it all static. NH on the ASA is a L3 switch.

4. Can an ASA with 100mg of bandwithd via Metro E handle 150 tunnels doing VoIP and data. 1 to 3 calls per site max.

Thanks,

J R

To answer your questions:-

1. Which is better for this the ASA or the 7204 - ASA, this is what is is designed to do.

2. Will VoIP  packets flow through both the same way - Yes

3. As far as redistribution  of routes can I use GRE on an ASA or should I keep it all static. NH on  the ASA is a L3 switch. - the ASA does not support GRE tunnels.

4. Can an ASA with 100mg of bandwithd via  Metro E handle 150 tunnels doing VoIP and data. 1 to 3 calls per site  max. - Depends on the model of ASA, see the below matrix for thru-put  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

HTH>

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer

To answer your questions:-

1. Which is better for this the ASA or the 7204 - ASA, this is what is is designed to do.

2. Will VoIP  packets flow through both the same way - Yes

3. As far as redistribution  of routes can I use GRE on an ASA or should I keep it all static. NH on  the ASA is a L3 switch. - the ASA does not support GRE tunnels.

4. Can an ASA with 100mg of bandwithd via  Metro E handle 150 tunnels doing VoIP and data. 1 to 3 calls per site  max. - Depends on the model of ASA, see the below matrix for thru-put  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

HTH>

Actions

This Discussion