Views
Helpful
Replies

How Can I do format a Flash Memory?

davidmeiker
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings

That's a question that a collague ask to me, its possible to format a Flash Memory? I have a Cisco Router 2811. What Comands I have to execute in ROM Monitor to do that??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saludos

Esta es una pergunta que un compañero me hizo, es posible realizar un formateo a una memoria Flash? Yo tengo un Router Cisco 2811. Que comandos deberia ejecutar en ROmmon?

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

davidmeiker wrote:

Greetings

That's a question that a collague ask to me, its possible to format a Flash Memory? I have a Cisco Router 2811. What Comands I have to execute in ROM Monitor to do that??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saludos

Esta es una pergunta que un compañero me hizo, es posible realizar un formateo a una memoria Flash? Yo tengo un Router Cisco 2811. Que comandos deberia ejecutar en ROmmon?

You can format flash from enable mode on the router -

router# format flash:

be aware that this will overwrite all files in flash so you would need to copy a new IOS.

You don't want to do this from ROMMON because the router would not then have an IOS to boot.

Jon

well.. the situation is.. I dont have a funtionaly IOS in my flash, I think that the IOS that is in the flash memory is corrupt.. Im just in ROMMON mode... I can't use TFTP, My memory is inestable... and My boss order to format de FLASH in ROMMON Mode.. Is it a way to format in Rommon Mode???

Yes you can format from romon.  My point is why bother.  You device has two USB ports right?  Take an old usb drive.  Modern ones are 4 gigs or better.  I use an old 256 one.  Format the USB thumb drive FAT16.  Copy your image to the usb drive.  Boot your 2811 from romon manually pointing to your USB Drive.  Formating your compact flash drive in your device too many times can cause it not to work too well.

Well.. thats a good way to do the things I admit that you open my mind to new horizons... using a USB? thats good!...but you dont answer my question at all... -->"Can I Format the Flash Memory using ROMMON?? "<--

Yes, you should be able to. If the memory is corrupt then you have no image to worry about saving... just make sure.

To be honest though, I have never tried it... of course I've never had the need too yet either and you know what they say about need and innovation.

THe format flash: command should be what you need though.

Worst case, depending on the router you have, just pop out the flash card and put it into a reader and format it.

1.  USB-boot support starts with bootstrap version 12.4(13r)T6
2.  ISR G1 support USB with maximum size of 2Gb.  ISR G2 will support up to 8Gb size.

To solve your issue, I recommend you use xmodem.  Specifically, "xmodem -rs115200".  The switch "r" means that the IOS is loaded to the router's DRAM and the "s" means that the speed for the xmodem is set to 115200.  If you load the IOS from the DRAM you are then able to format the CF.

Xmodem Console Download Procedure Using ROMmon
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

Don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco