cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What's really the funtion of the Native VLAN?

davidmeiker
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings

I have a confusion... whats really the function of the native vlan? is it the same that trunk?.. if we have configure the trunk interface and not the native vlan, what happen with the native vlan?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jose,

Native VLAN is a concept of 802.1q
802.1q is a trunking protocol
They are not the same.
Trunking is the capability to transport multiple VLANs in the same media
Native VLAN is the VLAN that goes untagged across the trunk.
By default if you don't configure a native VLAN, is VLAN 1

Federico.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jose,

Native VLAN is a concept of 802.1q
802.1q is a trunking protocol
They are not the same.
Trunking is the capability to transport multiple VLANs in the same media
Native VLAN is the VLAN that goes untagged across the trunk.
By default if you don't configure a native VLAN, is VLAN 1

Federico.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Greetings

I have a confusion... whats really the function of the native vlan? is it the same that trunk?.. if we have configure the trunk interface and not the native vlan, what happen with the native vlan?

In addition to Federico Coto Fajardo post

The Native vlan is an IEEE decision that enabled dot1q to have backwards compatibility with other switches that did not carry or understand vlan tagged traffic.Native vlan is that vlan in which tagging is not performed and all the management information is sent by native vlan like CDP,VTP.

Native VLAN is the VLAN that is same on 2 or more switches. any traffic not labeled with VLAN is by default assigned to NATIVE VLAN. as we know that over 2 Switches that are connected to eachother, all traffic must be VLAN Tagged, untagged traffic is by default assigned to NATIVE VLAN.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jose

Attached is a doc i have recently been working on which tries to explain what the native vlan is and why we have it. Hope it helps to answer your questions.

Jon

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jose

Attached is a doc i have recently been working on which tries to explain what the native vlan is and why we have it. Hope it helps to answer your questions.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Attachment is missing

Ganesh.H

ganeshh.iyer wrote:

Jose

Jon

Hi Jon,

Attachment is missing

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh

I know, it's done using Openoffice on Linux and it won't let me upload that format so i have converted it to text which to be honest doesn't look that good

I'll see if i can save it as a format that can be uploaded.

Okay, i've saved it as a Microsoft 2007 .doc but i have no idea how it is going to look.

Jon

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ganeshh.iyer wrote:

Jose

Jon

Hi Jon,

Attachment is missing

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh

I know, it's done using Openoffice on Linux and it won't let me upload that format so i have converted it to text which to be honest doesn't look that good

I'll see if i can save it as a format that can be uploaded.

Jon

I will be eager to see the document because as that will clear more concepts on native vlan if possible can you mail me on my personal id

Ganesh.H

Ganesh

See if you can read the latest .doc version. If not i can e-mail it you although i'll need your e-mail address. Note the doc is not complete as i was going to do a bit of testing with my switches and perhaps some packet captures but i haven't got round to that yet.

Jon

Ganesh

See if you can read the latest .doc version. If not i can e-mail it you although i'll need your e-mail address. Note the doc is not complete as i was going to do a bit of testing with my switches and perhaps some packet captures but i haven't got round to that yet.

Jon

I can able to read the doc format Great Work Jon   !! 5 points from my side ...  strange man i can't able to vote the post ..

Ganesh.H

strange man i can't able to vote the post

I think Jon's hit the limit on the CSC score.  He he he ...

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ganesh

Thanks for checking it out. Is there anything missing that you can see ?

Jon

Ganesh

Thanks for checking it out. Is there anything missing that you can see ?

Jon

Jon,

Let me share my feedback on the document by evening,If possible can you share your e-id.

Ganesh.H

Ganesh

I'll send you a private message with e-mail details.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco