Recommendation about CCIE RS Lab study materials?

Unanswered Question
May 18th, 2010

I just started lab study for CCIE RS but wasn't sure what study meterials are considered by experienced people as effective for the version 4.0 lab. I know there are quite a few vendors offering work books and training sessions. Can you give me some recommendations from your experience? I just want to be better focused, rather than collecting everything.

Thanks a lot.

Gary

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Todd Pula Wed, 05/26/2010 - 13:43

I used the Internetwork Expert materials for my lab prep and can't say enough good things.  Their program does a good job of teaching you process which is necessary for passing the lab.  I spent a fair bit of time working through the technology and core labs before finally diving into the 8 hour labs.  I found this to be a good approach because it made the process and core technologies second nature.  This allowed me to then focus on some of the more complex and obscure topics which I was then able to put together in the full 8 hour labs.  Speed, accuracy, and the ability to verify are just as important as knowning how to configure a feature.  In addition to working with the INE materials and constant rack time, I spent a lot of time reading through the Cisco documentation as well as the many on the INE recommended reading list.  It is impossible to know everything but knowing how to quickly navigate to a particular feature guide can mean the difference between pass and fail.

Good luck on your journey!

Todd Pula

CCIE #19383

gwhuang5398 Thu, 05/27/2010 - 20:04

Hi Todd:

Thank you so much for the suggestions. If you don't mind, can you tell me the names of the INE work books you used? I've heard INE has different sets or volumes of materials for the RS lab. I'm not sure what's the right set or volume I should follow.

I've also heard Cisco 360. Do you have any experience with that?

Thanks again

Gary

Todd Pula Fri, 05/28/2010 - 07:03

I used the INE R&S Vol I, II, and III materials during my prep.  Volume I is full of mini labs focused on a single technology.  Volume II contains the 8 hour mock labs.  Volume III covers the core R&S topics using 4 hour mini-labs.  I did my prep a little out-of-order.  I spent time going through Volume I and spent a lot of time honing my core skills with Volume III.  By the time I hit the 8 hour labs, the core topics were second nature and I could configure them on auto pilot.

gwhuang5398 Fri, 05/28/2010 - 20:56

Thanks so much for all the information. I'll check into INE web site to find out more details of their work books.

If you don't mind, did you go through the book list that Cisco recommended on their CCIE web site as well? I just want to have an idea how much reading I need to do too inaddition to lab practices.

Thanks again.

Gary

Todd Pula Fri, 06/04/2010 - 11:54

These are a few of the books that I used as well as countless hours of reading through univercd docs.  I passed the 3.0 exam but own the 4.0 materials and would vouch for them as well.  You can't go wrong with INE.  Please rate this post if you found it helpful so that others can refer to it.

- Routing TCP/IP Volume I (CCIE Professional Development)
- Routing TCP/IP, Volume II (CCIE Professional Development)
- Cisco LAN Switching (CCIE Professional Development series) (The Cisco Press Ccie Professional Development Series)
- Developing IP Multicast Networks: The Definitive Guide to Designing and Deploying CISCO IP Multi- cast Networks
- Cisco QOS Exam Certification Guide (IP Telephony Self-Study) (2nd Edition)
- Cisco Self-Study: Implementing Cisco IPv6 Networks (IPV6)
- Cisco Router Firewall Security (Deal, ISBN# 1587051753) 
- CCNP BCMSN

Actions

This Discussion