cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE 4710 One-Arm mode

iwearing
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for some advice on ace 4710 configured in One-Arm mode as against Routed mode.

Placing the ace inline between client side and real servers appears to be restrictive in terms of throughput and bandwidth. The core of my customers network consists of Cat4500s.

4 Replies 4

litrenta
Level 3
Level 3

Check out the one armed discussion on the doc wiki at:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Application_Control_Engine_%28ACE%29_Configuration_Examples_--_Routing_and_Bridging_Configuration_Examples

The example is for an ace module but same config holds true for the appliance. The key here is that you need to nat the traffic going to the server in order for the server to respond back to the ACE for the loadbalanced traffic , you need to do this since the server will not be pointing to the ace as it's default gateway. The alternative to natting is to implent policy based routing in the network to get the traffic back to the ace.

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

Do your traffic statistics and forecasts justify your qualms about inline mode?

To be honest I dont think that traffic levels will be a factor.

regards

Ian.

Then I would choose the simpler inline mode. It's worth it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: