power outage detection

Unanswered Question
May 19th, 2010
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Hi,

does anybody know how long does it take a Cisco router to detect a power failure?

Would it survive a 5ms power outage during a UPS maintenence without a reboot, e.g.?

Thanks,

Milan

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
John Blakley Wed, 05/19/2010 - 08:13
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

I'm going to say probably not, but I don't have specs on that I would create downtime just in case.....

HTH,

John

milan.kulik Thu, 05/20/2010 - 02:06
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

Hi,

yes, I'm ready for the router to reboot.

I just wonder: as 5ms is a very short time, maybe the router power supply would not detect the outage?

Thanks,

Milan

ronaldobf Thu, 05/20/2010 - 01:54
User Badges:

There is a customer I support that, for equipments with 2 power supplies,  one is pluged to the UPS and the other one is pluged directly to the wall so when there is a power outage, we get an alert regarding a falty power supply. Usually, depending on the structure/UPS, minutes later, the second goes down.

This is useful if you do not monitor UPS status.

andrew.prince@m... Thu, 05/20/2010 - 02:09
User Badges:
  • Green, 3000 points or more

depending on your router platform & # of power supplies, you can have the device send a syslog trap, you just need to filter and alert on the receipt of the trap.

The only device I am currently aware of that does not have power alerts is the cisco PIX/ASA, any other devices that have 2 x power supplies will alert on losing power.

HTH>

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content