Nexus 5k syslog issue

Unanswered Question
May 19th, 2010

Good Morning!   I'm having some difficulties regarding our new Nexus 5020 switches.   We have two of thse in which are connected to multiple

2k models (which are being used in the Top of Rack).    We are currently utilizing the 4.1(3)N1(1) version of code.   I am still very new to these switches

and I'm not sure if it's even considered IOS or if there is another name for it.   

Anyhow, here is my dilemma.   When we initially began setting these up, we noticed that there were two VRF's automatically set up (management

and default).   We are trying to set up logging to go to a remote syslog server, however....it keeps attempting to use the management vrf.    I removed the IP address from the management interface and am using VLAN 1 as my management interface (in-band management).     So....i believe this is where my

issue lies. I'm wanting to send my messages to a logging server, but use the default vrf instead of the management.    I tried using the following command:

logging server x.x.x.x 5 use-vrf default facility syslog

Unfortunately, the 'use-vrf' option doesn't show up for me.    I can't seem to figure out how to force the logging to use a certain vrf.   If anyone can help, i'd greatly be appreciated.   And once again, I'm sorry for my ignorance on this subject.

Overall Rating: 3.7 (4 ratings)
Ganesh Hariharan Wed, 05/19/2010 - 23:17

Good Morning!   I'm having some difficulties regarding our new Nexus 5020 switches.   We have two of thse in which are connected to multiple

2k models (which are being used in the Top of Rack).    We are currently utilizing the 4.1(3)N1(1) version of code.   I am still very new to these switches

and I'm not sure if it's even considered IOS or if there is another name for it.   

Anyhow, here is my dilemma.   When we initially began setting these up, we noticed that there were two VRF's automatically set up (management

and default).   We are trying to set up logging to go to a remote syslog server, however....it keeps attempting to use the management vrf.    I removed the IP address from the management interface and am using VLAN 1 as my management interface (in-band management).     So....i believe this is where my

issue lies. I'm wanting to send my messages to a logging server, but use the default vrf instead of the management.    I tried using the following command:

logging server x.x.x.x 5 use-vrf default facility syslog

Unfortunately, the 'use-vrf' option doesn't show up for me.    I can't seem to figure out how to force the logging to use a certain vrf.   If anyone can help, i'd greatly be appreciated.   And once again, I'm sorry for my ignorance on this subject.

Check out the below link for syslog configuration on nexus 5K

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli_rel_4_0_1a/sm_syslog.html#wp1088182

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

If helpful do rate the post

Poliberte Tue, 06/03/2014 - 08:31

This was the weirdest thing. not sure if you fixed your problem but it wouldn't work for me until i hit Ctrl z after the config. Only ctrl Z worked, I still had the same issue when I typed "exit". It would always show "this server is temporarily unreachable" for me before the ctrl z. Weird!

pezzulca Tue, 09/27/2016 - 16:09

I was having the same exact issue with "this server is temporarily unreachable" for all my logging servers, but on a Nexus 9372 version 7.0(3)I2(2d)

I had to hit ctrl+z after each logging server command instead of enter.

How did anyone figure that one out!

Poliberte Wed, 09/28/2016 - 06:41

Luck!! I used ctrl-z and exit depending on the mood i'm in lol. It just happened that I was working on 2 different nexus environemnt. One work and the other didn't. The only difference was that I used ctrl-z rather than exit, lol. Just a stroke of luck. 

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other DC Subjects