Views
Helpful
Replies

which product is right for ssl vpn: asa 5505 or cisco 1841

after1111
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I want to setup an out of bound management link so we can ssh to our cisco devices and RDP toour  microsoft servers. This is my setup (based on what I know):

Internet >>>DSL modem>>>ASA 5505 >>>CONSOLE MANAGEMENT SWITCH>>>CISCO SWITCH or Windwos server

or

Internet>>>1841 with DSL HWIC>>>CONSOLE MANAGEMENT SWITCH>>>CISCO SWITCH or Windwos server

My questions are:

Should I go for ASA or 1841 router?

Which options is better? and can ASA do the job?

Are there any technical support prior purchasing the products in Australia? I need technical advice on choosing the right products, not justs elling me products.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Its highly suggested to go with ASA 5505 in first place, its the device supposed to be doing the main ssl vpn server functionality when compared to 1841 which has this additional feature to be a vpn server.

Also ASDM gives you the liberty to config the box on your own based on your requirement.

regds

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

Its highly suggested to go with ASA 5505 in first place, its the device supposed to be doing the main ssl vpn server functionality when compared to 1841 which has this additional feature to be a vpn server.

Also ASDM gives you the liberty to config the box on your own based on your requirement.

regds

Hi Spremkumar,

Thanks for your response,

Please see the attached diagram to see my objectives (I want to console access Cisco equipment using console management switch and access a Prod VLAN (Dell Remote Access Controller VLAN). I have not use an ASA product before so I'm not sure whether its achieveable?

I believed ASA does not support routing? Correct?

Kindly advise,

Many thanks

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ASA does support routing. It supports the normal static routes, and for dynamic routing protocols, it supports RIP, EIGRP and OSPF.

Here is the configuration on ASA for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/route_overview.html