cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting three Linksys SRW2024 together

Berriganp
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best solution to connect three of these switches together? Currently each switch is in a different room where each is supporting its own network. I want to connect three of these together and create one flat network with no vlans. Is this possible with Fiber? Or would I need a higher end switch in order to daisy chain with Fiber?

4 Replies 4

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are various mini-Gbic interface modules available for these switches both Fiber and Copper.  They are listed as "accessories" for the Cisco Small Business Switches and details on the various models can be found here on the Accessories page.

Yes I have already found the modules for both Fiber and Copper for this model of switch. I am asking if its possible to daisy chain three of these together. I am confused as the two minigbic ports on this switch correspond to 1-12 and 13-24. I am not sure how you would chain three of these together and still have clients be able to access other clients on another switch.

You would have to set the Port Mode to "Trunk" on each switch-to-switch port/link.  This will allow these links to pass all traffic & vlans between them as inter-switch links  You stated you are creating a flat network so as long as all network clients are in the same ip network range you should have no issues with client communication between switches as long as the switch-to-switch connections are set up as "Trunk" mode.  These switches are not "stackable" so you would have to manage each one individually, keep in mind.

Best Regards,

Thanks Glen for your help so far.

Another question for you. So I would configure port 12 to trunk on the first, second, and third switch and port 24 on the second and third switch, since port 12 corresponds to the first minigbic and 24 corresponds to the second minigbic port on the switch and connect the minigbic via fiber from the first switchs minigbic to the 2nd switchs first minigbic port and on the 2nd switchs second minigbic port to the third switchs first minigbic port. Let me know if this makes sense or I am totally off. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X