cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN & IP Add Scheme

vpollifrone
Level 1
Level 1

we have about 900 employees within 30 departments and are working to segment the LAN. Our largest department is 75 users. Does it pay to create all 24bit subnets per department or subent it out further on Catalayst 4510R-E w/SUP6 in the core. Any advice would be appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
we have about 900 employees within 30 departments and are working to
segment the LAN. Our largest department is 75 users. Does it pay to
create all 24bit subnets per department or subent it out further on
Catalayst 4510R-E w/SUP6 in the core. Any advice would be appreciated

What i would suggest if this is final figure and with taking future growth in concern who can go with for max. user department which 75 with /24 subnet and for rest you can have subnetting to /25 or /26.

Hope to Help !!

Ganes.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

vpollifrone wrote:

we have about 900 employees within 30 departments and are working to segment the LAN. Our largest department is 75 users. Does it pay to create all 24bit subnets per department or subent it out further on Catalayst 4510R-E w/SUP6 in the core. Any advice would be appreciated

Assuming you are using private addressing it doesn't really matter whether you use /24s or less. Personally i would look to use /25s which would give you enough room to grow for each subnet. Key thing is not so much whether you use /24s or /25s bu that you can summarise the allocated IP subnets to anything outside the LAN.

Jon

we are using private addressing 10.10.X.X with that being said we can potentially create 30 + networks to accomodate employees and scale for future growth. I could see us doubling staff for our larger departments within the next 5 years so some /24 will be needed, other smaller departments we can use /25 or /26 and summarize all routes with a 10.0.0.0/16. thanks for your advice guys

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
we have about 900 employees within 30 departments and are working to
segment the LAN. Our largest department is 75 users. Does it pay to
create all 24bit subnets per department or subent it out further on
Catalayst 4510R-E w/SUP6 in the core. Any advice would be appreciated

What i would suggest if this is final figure and with taking future growth in concern who can go with for max. user department which 75 with /24 subnet and for rest you can have subnetting to /25 or /26.

Hope to Help !!

Ganes.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card