cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading the IOS image on a Sup II plus

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

This evening I am going to upgrade the IOS image on a customer 4500 switch that has a Sup II plus installed, this in order that I may tap into the new Smart Call Home feature.

The last time i performed an upgrade on the Sup II + i ran into an issue.  IT was something to do with deleting, squeezing, or something along those lines.

I have searched Cisco and so far cannot find documentation this represents this procedure.

Does anyone know the proper procedure for the Sup II plus upgrade?

Thanks

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

k-melton wrote:

This evening I am going to upgrade the IOS image on a customer 4500 switch that has a Sup II plus installed, this in order that I may tap into the new Smart Call Home feature.

The last time i performed an upgrade on the Sup II + i ran into an issue.  IT was something to do with deleting, squeezing, or something along those lines.

I have searched Cisco and so far cannot find documentation this represents this procedure.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin

Whether you need to delete/squeeze depends on whether you have enough space in flash to load the new IOS. If you have enough space then you don't need to do it.

Basic procedure -

1) setup a tftp server with a copy of the new IOS image

2) check whether there is enough space in flash for new image.

3) if not you will need to delete existing image

4) you may need to enter the command "squeeze flash:" to reclaim the space.

5) copy the new IOS to flash ie. "copy tftp flash:"

6) if you have only one image in flash and in your running-config there is no "boot system flash ..." command then simply reload

if there is more than one image or you have a boot system flash ....string in your running config you need to make sure you have a boot system flash string for your new image in the running-config ie.

boot system flash flash:

if there is one there already or existing image then remove that entry, add your new one and if you want put the old one back so they are in the right order.

Note i have been saying flash all along but it may be bootflash on the 4500, can't remember. So do a "dir /all" and find out where your current IOS is, that is where you want to copy the new IOS image. If it was bootfllash then the commands that would change would be -

5) copy tftp bootflash:

6) boot system flash bootflash:

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

k-melton wrote:

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin

Whether you need to delete/squeeze depends on whether you have enough space in flash to load the new IOS. If you have enough space then you don't need to do it.

Basic procedure -

1) setup a tftp server with a copy of the new IOS image

2) check whether there is enough space in flash for new image.

3) if not you will need to delete existing image

4) you may need to enter the command "squeeze flash:" to reclaim the space.

5) copy the new IOS to flash ie. "copy tftp flash:"

6) if you have only one image in flash and in your running-config there is no "boot system flash ..." command then simply reload

if there is more than one image or you have a boot system flash ....string in your running config you need to make sure you have a boot system flash string for your new image in the running-config ie.

boot system flash flash:

if there is one there already or existing image then remove that entry, add your new one and if you want put the old one back so they are in the right order.

Note i have been saying flash all along but it may be bootflash on the 4500, can't remember. So do a "dir /all" and find out where your current IOS is, that is where you want to copy the new IOS image. If it was bootfllash then the commands that would change would be -

5) copy tftp bootflash:

6) boot system flash bootflash:

Jon

Thanks Jon

Kevin

Jon

Your answers (as is typical) were all good.  It brought back some memories - when last I had to upgrade the code on the Sup II plus 2 years ago or so, the trouble that I ran into was that i did not "squeeze" the Flash after deleting the one IOS image in it.  So each time I would try to FTP the new image to it, it would go most of the way thru the copy process, and then indicate "not enough space to copy image" or some similar message.

Last night I did the squeeze and all was well after that.  Loaded the new image that will allow me to configure the new "Smart Call Home" feature when I am back onsite tomorrow.

Interesting footnote:  Once I had loaded the new image (cat4500-ipbasek9-mz.122-53.SG2.bin) to flash, I issued the reload command.  Then things went to heck in a handbasket.  At first the unit would not boot.  No output on console, and red status lights on the Line Cards and an amber light on the Sup II+.  I powered down, then back up , same thing again.  So i Powered down, pulled all the line cards out, and then reseated the Sup.  At this point (and mind you it was now 3 am at the customer site) it came up in ROMMON mode.  So I issued a boot command, and then it eventually booted into IOS.  Then for some reason, all the line cards lost their config, so I had to paste and drop alot of the config back on the box.  By 4 am, I had everything back up.

Thanks for all your help this week!

I am heading to the beach for a weekend of fishing...

Kevin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card