Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Troubleshooting Ping response delay

Hi All,

I am need of your help to figure out the cause of variable delay in Ping respnse.

According to setup, I am pinging the other end WAN inteface,The response is keep on varying.

What could be the cause of this issue?

What troubleshooting steps should I have to follow to pin point the issue?

Below attached is the ping output:

C:\Documents and Settings\ping -n 50 10.10.10.3

Pinging 10.10.10.3 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=688ms TTL=249
Request timed out.
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=472ms TTL=249
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=249
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=1559ms TTL=249
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=1098ms TTL=249
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=249
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=249

Any help would be appreciable.

Regards,

Thiyagarajan

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

I am need of your help to figure out the cause of variable delay in Ping respnse.

According to setup, I am pinging the other end WAN inteface,The response is keep on varying.

What could be the cause of this issue?

What troubleshooting steps should I have to follow to pin point the issue?

Below attached is the ping output:

C:\Documents and Settings\ping -n 50 10.10.10.3

Pinging 10.10.10.3 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=688ms TTL=249
Request timed out.
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=472ms TTL=249
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=249
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=1559ms TTL=249
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=1098ms TTL=249
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=249
Reply from 10.10.10.3: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=249

Any help would be appreciable.

Regards,

Thiyagarajan

Thiyagarajan,

Right now you are pinging from your desktop to other end wan ip address,it can be variable problem in delay in responce.

What i would suggest check the ping responce from point to point like ping the immediate gateway what is the responce and from gateway to local roiter interface wan ip what is the responce and then from router to router wan ip responce and check the bandwidth utilization of the wan link is it getting choked or some error on interfaces of R1 connecting to wan links.

With the above observation you can some conclusion where can be the issue in latency..

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Yout TTL shows up 249 which means you are crossing few devices before reaching to the destination..

perform a traceroute to the destination, note down all the hops and then ping all the hops with ping x.x.x.x -t in separate windows and check which hop drops the packet or faces latency.

HTH

Hitesh Vinzoda

Please rate useful posts

sometimes the local router serial interface is taking much time to respond back to ping reply.

If I  ping the lP which has been asighned to router serial interface, some times  it is taking a long time to reply. It is also keep on varying.

Can anybody give me a clue to pinpoint this issue

thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Thiyagrajan

thiyagarajankalaiselvan wrote:

sometimes the local router serial interface is taking much time to respond back to ping reply.

If I  ping the lP which has been asighned to router serial interface, some times  it is taking a long time to reply. It is also keep on varying.

Can anybody give me a clue to pinpoint this issue

thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Thiyagrajan

If you ping the local serial interface from the router itself then the ICMP packets still have to go to the other end of the serial link and back again.

Are you actually having problems with your network or is it just that you have noticed varying times. It could be that you have a busy connection and that sometimes it just takes longer than others.

Jon

could you post the SH INTERFACE of serial interface which seems to be showing delay or drops.?

Regards

Hitesh Vinzoda

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card