1300 Aironet - Why no root?

Answered Question
May 19th, 2010

Hi,

Have worked with these before, a few years ago mind you.

Two 1300's configured in the 'root' 'non-root' mode to link two buildings together.

The 'root' 1300 I have set up in a basic setting to ensure all works first.

Everything standard as it came out of the box with the following exceptions

IP - 10.0.0.1 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 0.0.0.0

'Root Bridge'

SSID = test

no security

Radio enabled

Range = 1

Infrastructure SSID selected and 'forced'

The 'non - root' 1300 I have set up in a basic setting to ensure all works first.

Everything standard as it came out of the box with the following exceptions

IP - 10.0.0.2 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 0.0.0.0

'Non-Root Bridge'

SSID = test

no security

Radio enabled

Range = 1

Infrastructure SSID selected and 'forced'

All I get is two blinking LED's - S & E, which is not good.

Any ideas why I cant get them to link.

Had a look at quite a fair bit of documentation and cant seem to find anything that can help me, maybe I am suffering from to much searching syndrome!

Many Thanks.

Correct Answer by ahmedalshami about 6 years 9 months ago

Hi,

the 1300 WB with integrated antennas or without  ?(you need to enable external antennas if required )

my recommendation is :  remove the both WB and test it in the lab to make sure the configuration was fine .

BR1                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------          BR2

then make sure you have line of sight between two BR...

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
darryl.spurr Wed, 05/19/2010 - 23:45

Update

Reset both units and started again.

Changed the same settings as before.

This time I get the data LED flashing as well, but still no connection.

Converted each unit one at a time to be a AP, on both occassions this worked.

So I can forget the idea that one of the 1300's is deaf or poor TX.

Correct Answer
ahmedalshami Sun, 05/23/2010 - 13:12

Hi,

the 1300 WB with integrated antennas or without  ?(you need to enable external antennas if required )

my recommendation is :  remove the both WB and test it in the lab to make sure the configuration was fine .

BR1                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------          BR2

then make sure you have line of sight between two BR...

darryl.spurr Mon, 05/24/2010 - 15:34

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Cisco Support called me on Friday and as soon as I told them the model number that is what they said. Then had to race away and install them.

What I really do not understand is that they were 30cm apart and couldn't link, but yet when configured as access points I had no problems connecting to them (and crusing the web) with my laptop down at the other end of the bench. I can only assume that they have a different signal level requirement in bridge mode.

What I can't believe about these units is the lack of aerial alignment tools. These are a designed as a bridge for use with external aerials, which quite often means the two are not together - one inside the building and the aerial outside. This makes using the 'blinking led's' as a alignment tool useless, also decoding the led's is pretty odd. A simple plotting tool via the web browser would have been so simple.

Cheers

Actions

This Discussion