Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Device Shutdown

chris_tan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

This question may be silly, but i just want to know why some Cisco device do not need to shutdown. I am aware that we just need to physical turn the power ON/Off button or just unplug the plug.

1. What is the reason no shutdown is require?

2. Any Cisco documentation has some explanation of that?

3. Believe there are some device which has shutdown capability (Cat switch?), what are those ?

Thanks.

Rgds,

Christopher

8 Replies 8

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello all,

This question may be silly, but i just want to know why some Cisco device do not need to shutdown. I am aware that we just need to physical turn the power ON/Off button or just unplug the plug.

1. What is the reason no shutdown is require?

2. Any Cisco documentation has some explanation of that?

3. Believe there are some device which has shutdown capability (Cat switch?), what are those ?

Thanks.

Rgds,

Christopher

Hi Christopher,

All devices in cisco can be made shutdown or reload by isuuing a command reload,Genarllay a shutdown or reload of router or switch is done in case of any problem or ios upgarde.If everything working fine no need for shutdown for any devices.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

If helpful do rate the post

Hi Gamesh,

Yes, i am aware that reload. What i mean is any command to permanently shut the router.

Thanks.

Rgds,

Christopher

Hi Gamesh,

Yes, i am aware that reload. What i mean is any command to permanently shut the router.

Thanks.

Rgds,

Christopher

Christopher,

No, there isn't.power button only in devices and i dont think there is no shutdown procedure for routers rather a reload or restart of routers.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

chris_tan
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone has any reference on why certain cisco devices does not require shutdown? direct me to a cisco document will be great.

Thanks.

There is no referenceable reason, beside that is known and accepted that customers do not require shutdown capability in network devices, consequently there is not there.

If you require it, use a remote-controlled power socket.

thomaszeller
Level 1
Level 1

We are remotely managing a router for our client and the client is going to do power maintenance of some kind.  We would like to gracefully power the device down before they begin flipping power switches in the datacenter off and on.  They will then manually power up the device when they are ready.  A shutdown command would be nice, although it may not be used often.  Still, the option would be nice.  I can see how some would see this option as unnecessary... but it should be an option, no?

Graceful shoutdowns make sense on servers, where data may (or may not) be in flight to storange.  With the current config saved in memory, there is nothing critical to the router that might be "in flight" so, we just power down.

No need to make networking any more complicated.

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

It is an interesting question - Juniper devices can be brought to a halt from the command line but they operate on top of a BSD kernel - I wonder if there is something similar in NX-OS.

My guess is that a router / switch is essentially a passive device and "traffic" is not stored on it, it just passes through it. So there is not need to halt the device - nothing is going to get lost when we turn it off. Also, consider that all storage for configurations / IOS etc on a router or a switch is stored in solid state memory so there is no risk of data corruption due to a failed read / write of a rotating disk based HDD when you yank out the power. Some routers do contain rotating disk HDD storage (Unity module etc.) and these CAN be brought to a halt from within the IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: