cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the difference between LH and LX modules?

netops044
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know the difference between LX and LH SFP modules. Long Haul ( LH ) denotes longer distances while Long Wavelength ( LX ) denotes less energy which is obviously shorter distance. Why does Cisco use both LX and LH for certain SFP modules?

Do they denote the capability of the module to work both for MM ( which will be Long wavelength ) and SM ( Long Haul ) fiber? Do correct me if i am wrong.

What does it infer if a modules says like "Cisco 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP" ?

1 Reply 1

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

What does it infer if a modules says like "Cisco 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP

Generally a module is either made for single mode (More distance) / multimode (short distance). But this module can be used for both Single mode and Multimode.

If used with SM fiber it can go upto 10Km

It used with MM it can go upto 550meters (depend on what kind os MM fiber you have) You need a mode conditioning patch chord too with legacy MM i think OM1 and 2.

Long Haul ( LH ) denotes longer distances while Long Wavelength ( LX ) denotes less energy which is obviously shorter distance. Why does Cisco use both LX and LH for certain SFP modules

Read this link and dont worry about LX/LH (You will ge tthe distance mentiond above depending on the type of fibe ryou are using)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet

Before it was standardized 1000BASE-LX10 was essentially already in widespread use by many vendors as a proprietary extension called either 1000BASE-LX/LH or 1000BASE-LH