Views
Helpful
Replies

Fax detect in IPCC Script

e.silva_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It is possible in IPCC script(some step) to detect an incoming FAX?

Because the PSTN line assigned to the script will receive normal and fax calls and we need to separate it in the script..

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not really, because fax tones are not DTMF tones, and the IVR can only accept DTMF input.  I'm not sure if the ASR addon can detect fax or not, but not many people wouldn't buy ASR just to do that.  So my answer will be that no, you cannot.

One trick you could use, ask the caller a question like, "do you want free money?  press 1 now"

Well, a fax cannot press 1, so therefore you just weeded out fax machines...ok, not really, because you also just weeded out pulse dial phones, cool bluetooth people, GM OnStar® people, etc. as well.

Not to mention, people will want their free money!

We have seen in a few countries (in our case, Slovakia) the same situation - voice and faxes coming in on the same number. You need to do some magic on the voice gateway to redirect the faxes to another dial-peer, and then to the fax machine. It can be tricky.

Regards,

Geoff

Thanks for the answer,

Do you already try it and works?

Do you have an example? or some documentation

I started thinking about it and... I don't think it's going to be easy. First, what is that convenient time interval the caller (a human) may wait while a system analyzes the voice (if any) whether it is a fax or not? If you want to filter all calls, then you need to route all calls to a machine which will do the voice analysis (how long?) and based on the result it will route the call to either a fax machine or an agent.

The machine may be a standard JTAPI contolled bunch of CTI ports that will record a short sample of the voice (2-3 seconds is sufficient) while the system plays "please wait while your call is transferred" and in the meantime it would analyse the recording. I have no idea what a fax beep looks like... But it is an interesting idea. I will definitely try to figure it out. Will let you know.

G.

Hi

I'm not sure what kind of PSTN gateway you are using. But if you have SIP or H323 Gateway, then you can use "Faxt Detect" TCL script for seperate fax and voice call.

For more details, you can read this

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/ios/voice/fax/configuration/guide/vf_cfg_fx_detect_ps10592_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

Incoming call is intercepted by this faxt detect application. Then based on the incoming call, you can route to different destination.

Hope this helps

Thank you

- abu

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: