Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE Load Balancing

creyes-IBM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I´m configuring 2 ACE 4710 in failover, and I also need to balance 2 webservers at the momment. I have all of the IP address in the same subnet, is that a problem?

Server 1 192.168.1.1

Server 2 192.168.1.2

VIP 192.168.1.3

I have a VLAN for administration, and I have a VLAN for the client connection.

But when I try to connect to the VIP, It doesn't show the web page, but if I connect to the servers page directly they are working ok..

Does anybody know what can i check, or if there is any manual that really shows how to configure this type of connections.

Thanks..

2 Replies 2

UHansen1976
Level 1
Level 1

Carlos,

This could be helpfull to you: http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Application_Control_Engine_%28ACE%29_Troubleshooting_Guide.

Other than that, I'd recommend going through the following sequence of troubleshooting:

1. Access-list - Make sure traffic is actually permitted and that an access-list is applied to your ingress-interface.

2. VIPs - Verify, that your vip-addresses are in the state IN-SRVC and that hitcounters are increasing (or dropscounts possibly)

3. Multimatch policy - Do a detailed show of your policy-configuration and see, how far traffic gets or if it's dropped.

4. Serverfarms/realservers - Make sure, they're operational and see if any connections has passed through and failed connections. You could also look

at your probe-status.

What kind of error are you getting? Timeout, blank page, incomplete page etc. Also, have you tried to run a trace?

hth

/Ulrich

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

From your description, it sounds like you might have a one-armed configuration for load balancing.  If your management VLAN interface is only used for management, and you only have the client VLAN interface for load balancing, then this would be a one-armed config.  If this is indeed the case, then you would need to use either Policy-Based Routing to route the server response traffic back to the ACE rather than directly back to the client.  Or, the more common solution is to configure source NAT as shown below:

access-list ANYONE line 10 extended permit tcp any any

rserver host SERVER_01
  ip address 192.168.1.1
  inservice
rserver host SERVER_02
  ip address 192.168.1.2
  inservice

serverfarm host REAL_SERVERS
  rserver SERVER_01
    inservice
  rserver SERVER_02
    inservice