cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I use multiple client side vlans in ACE?

ajtm
Level 1
Level 1

In CSM we have a default-gateway per Client VLAN, in ACE there is no equivalent command! How does the ACE handles routing in this situation?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Talk about a deja-vu. I was faced with the exact same challenge about a year ago.

Basically, I think you're looking at two options:

1) Firewall-consolidation - Consolidate your four firewalls into one, having one dedicated interface towards the ace and route all your vips using the ace as

next-hop. It looks like your firewalls are virtual (but I don't know), so it's duable. But I don't know if this is even an option for you.

2) Per. clientvlan context - Context A for vlan1001, Context B for vlan1002 and so on. Each context handles clienttraffic for the respective vlan and since

each context handles it's own routingtable, simply use the firewall-address as your default route. But from your drawing, it looks like your server-vlans

are all connected to the same ace, so you will need to split that up. Assign each servervlan to an ace-context as you do with the clientside-vlans.

Well, a third option would be NAT in your firewall. Unless you have a specific need for the original client-ip the reach the ace, you could nat incoming clientsessions in each of the firewalls to an interface-address on that firewall, hence the ace will see the clientrequest as originating from the firewall and since ace has connected routes to each of the firewall, it wall return traffic to respective firewall and leave it to him to return the traffic to the client.

Since each firewall will present the packets with a unique NAT'ed address, you can apply different policies, parameters etc. for that NAT-address, if this is required.

hth

/Ulrich

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

UHansen1976
Level 1
Level 1

By clientside, I take you it mean incoming traffic.

One option would be to configure all your clienside VIP-addresses on the same interface. Simply configure each clientside address as a VIP in your class-map and bundle them into one or more multi-match policies and apply them to your clientside ingress traffic. See example below:

class-map MATCH_VIP1

match virtual-address 1.1.1.1 tcp eq xx

class-map MATCH_VIP2

match virtual-address 2.2.2.2 tcp eq xx

class-map MATCH_VIP3

match virtual-address 3.3.3.3 tcp eq xx

policy-map type multi-match PMAP_VIPS

class class-map MATCH_VIP1

... [parameters] ...

class class-map MATCH_VIP2

... [parameters] ...

class class-map MATCH_VIP3

... [parameters] ...

interface vlan yyy

service-policy in PMAP_VIPS

I'm assuming you have a Layer3-device in front of your ACE, so you need to configure a few static routes using the ACE-clientside vlan address as next-hop. And the ACE would use that Layer3-device as its default route.

Works for me, hope it will for you.

/Ulrich

The problem is quite different... We have several Layer 3 routers (actually Firewalls) in the client side, all of them can be the default-gateway:

The ACE needs to know how to "route back to the client".

Regards,

Antonio

Hi,

Talk about a deja-vu. I was faced with the exact same challenge about a year ago.

Basically, I think you're looking at two options:

1) Firewall-consolidation - Consolidate your four firewalls into one, having one dedicated interface towards the ace and route all your vips using the ace as

next-hop. It looks like your firewalls are virtual (but I don't know), so it's duable. But I don't know if this is even an option for you.

2) Per. clientvlan context - Context A for vlan1001, Context B for vlan1002 and so on. Each context handles clienttraffic for the respective vlan and since

each context handles it's own routingtable, simply use the firewall-address as your default route. But from your drawing, it looks like your server-vlans

are all connected to the same ace, so you will need to split that up. Assign each servervlan to an ace-context as you do with the clientside-vlans.

Well, a third option would be NAT in your firewall. Unless you have a specific need for the original client-ip the reach the ace, you could nat incoming clientsessions in each of the firewalls to an interface-address on that firewall, hence the ace will see the clientrequest as originating from the firewall and since ace has connected routes to each of the firewall, it wall return traffic to respective firewall and leave it to him to return the traffic to the client.

Since each firewall will present the packets with a unique NAT'ed address, you can apply different policies, parameters etc. for that NAT-address, if this is required.

hth

/Ulrich

Hi,

Cause the firewalls are physical, the second alternative seems to be the best (with the third one, we loose client info and that could be a problem to some apps).

Thanks,

Antonio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: