Views
Helpful
Replies

default switching method fragment free, store and forward

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body

I just want to know what method shitches use by default to forward  frames.  Is  it fragment- free or store and forward or cut-through ?

thanks and  have a good day.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sarahr202 wrote:

Hi every body

I just want to know what method shitches use by default to forward  frames.  Is  it fragment- free or store and forward or cut-through ?

Sarah

All Catalyst switches use store and forward except the Nexus switches which i believe use cut-through for reduced latency.

Jon

View solution in original post

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi every body

I just want to know what method shitches use by default to forward frames.  Is  it fragment- free or store and forward or cut-through ?

Store and forward method is the default which means a switch  buffers and, typically, performs a checksum on each frame before forwarding it on to ports.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sarahr202 wrote:

Hi every body

Sarah

All Catalyst switches use store and forward except the Nexus switches which i believe use cut-through for reduced latency.

Jon

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi every body

I just want to know what method shitches use by default to forward frames.  Is  it fragment- free or store and forward or cut-through ?

Store and forward method is the default which means a switch  buffers and, typically, performs a checksum on each frame before forwarding it on to ports.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card