Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem connecting to Linksys SRW2024 via IP

kertaylo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi All

I have an SRW2024 switch which I can connect to via the console. I've assigned the switch a new IP address from the 192.168.2.x range together with subnet mask and default gateway.

My problem is that I can't establish IP connectivity to the switch. I can't ping it or ping from it. HTTP and HTTPS (using IE) access fails. I've watched my physical interface using WireShark and I'm not seeing any packets from the switch.

Any ideas?

7 Replies 7

viningele
Level 3
Level 3

How are your link/status lights on the RJ45 port?  I read recently that (I think) these sw's web gui won't work with the default user/pass if that's the only user/pass set up, if you add another user/pass or just change the default it would work.  Don't know how that got scripted but that's what I read.

If you can connect via terminal then you could also change it to DHCP, then turn it on with wire shark running and look for traffic using it's MAC.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question, the green activity LED flashes away giving the impression of activity and the amber GigE LED remains solidly lit.

I've added users and password but nothing changes. I still can't connect to the switch via IP. It's almost as if the physical ports are in a VLAN other than 1. The switch can ping itself but nothing more. I've enabled DHCP but I don't see any activity. Also, I've reset the configuration but I'm faced with the same problem.

I'm scratching my head thinking the switch is a few cards short of a deck.

Thanks again.

Hi

I am just wondering what is the management vlan of the switch,  I am only guessing that it is VLAN 1.

I would guess at this stage,  that if your PC was set to 192.168.2.100 and was connected onto the switch,  your PC would not be able to ping the management interface of the switch.

Step 1.  It would be interesting to reset to factory defaults, reboot the switch  and try assigning a IP address to VLAN 1 again.

step 2.  make sure you select 'save' option at the bottom of the page.

step 3.  try ping the management interface of the switch with a PC that has a statically defined  IP address in the same IP  network as the switch.

How'd you go ?

regards Dave

Hey there

Yeah - I've been through this. I even got into the CLI interface which feel so much more comfortable to me. everything looks right and the output of the show commands looks good too.

I think there is a reason this switch was in the spares pile.

Ah well, I had to try but thanks so much for your help.

Hello everybody,

I have the same problem with the same bloody switch,. My question is to  kertaylo. Did you work out this stuped Linksys production line problem?!

Nice flows for everyone!

I am despared

Hi

I never was able to resolve the problem. My assumption is that the switch was always defective.

Typically the only time you will not be able to access the switches gui, is because of management vlan issues.  If you don't have a port designated to the management vlan and have vlans created other than the management you will not be able to ping the switch or access the gui.  I have done this before, create a vlan, change the management vlan to something other than 1 and save the config.  Once i did that, the switch is unresponsive to management except through console.  From console you can change the management back to access the switch.  It is a way of completely locking the switch down so no-one can login to it. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X