Question on setting up a wireless network using Cisco AIR-AP1252G-A-K9

Unanswered Question
May 20th, 2010

Hello there,

Thanks for reading this post, i am very confused and unsure how to setup these access points.  I just bought 5 of them and need to setup 3 in the house and 2 outside.  How should i set up the 3 access points inside?  Should i have 1 access point and the other 2 just relay the signal to reach all the way across the house (not sure if this is possible, my friend said it is, but i dont know)?  There will only be 1 vlan, 1 ssid, etc. very plain and simple with just WPA2 encryption.  No need for anything else since its just a home network.  I assume i only need 1 ssid because i want to be able to walk around the house with a laptop and not force itself to reconnect.  Should all 3 be on the same channel?  I want to use both N and G at the same time, is this possible?  How can i do this?

For the 2 access points outside, i bought 2 air-ant2460NP-R directional antenna.  The cisco rep said this will work with the AIR-AP1252G-A-K9, but i want to confirm with you professionals before opening the package.  Also, the cable that came with the antenna is only 3 feet long, can i get an adapter to make it 6 feet total, this is because i am planning to keep the access point inside? Third, is it possible to keep it the same ssid as the inside? so if i go from inside to outside i wont be force to reconnect (same concept as above)?  Also, since this antenna is only for the N network, is this backwards compatible with B/G network?

Looking forward to your help and answers.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you so much!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Elliott Shawd Fri, 06/18/2010 - 17:48

Not to be rude, but it sounds like you are going to have to do a bit of reading about how these puppies work. For starters, assuming you're not going to want to run Cat6 all over your house, yes, you are going to set up 4 of your 1252 as repeaters (since you didn't mention anything about wireless-A, in which case I would suggest something else). I would do this by plugging each into your router and navigating to the web gui by typing in the ip address of the device.

Next, you are right about configuring the same ssid on all devices. Roaming from ap to ap will work as you describe, but there are ways to enhance this. You want to use channels 1, 6, and 11. Configure the three inside as 1, 6, and 11 and the two outside as 2 channels from those three choices not close to each other. The frequency separation between each of those channels is large enough to where they don't interfere with each other.

Make sure the antennas you plan to use outside are outdoor antennas. I don't know model numbers, so I don't recognize that antenna. The 1252 definitely needs to be used inside only. You can get LMR extension cable, but you need to take loss into consideration. Also, N is backwards compatible with B/G devices.

Actions

This Discussion