Views
Helpful
Replies

Question re. Cisco Warranty

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

This is a question about Cisco IOS upgrades and is no really related to IPT so apologies for that - there is no forum for these topics so I thought I would post it here due to the number of knowledgeable guys that hang out here.

Enough flattery, scenario.

Cisco Partner A installs a CUCME system for a customer then disappears.

Customer has problems with the system and engages Cisco partner B to investigate.

Issue is traced to an IOS bug which is solved in a later maintenance version of the IOS.

For example, running version is 12.4(3) and bug is fixed in 12.4(11) and later.

My question - is Cisco Partner B entitled to download upgrade the IOS on the router to fix the issue or will doing so breach the terms of their partnership agreement? If it was a major (12.4 - 15.0) or minor (12.3 -12.4) upgrade then this would obviously be a violation. I need clarification whether the same applies to maintenance releases.

Assume that the customer does not have any SmartNet maintenance and that the 90 day software warranty period has expired.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have customer buy smartnet and they will be entitled do donwload pretty much anythign. i'm not sure which software warranty are you referring to as in my knowled the 90 days warranty is for hardware only. However Cisco at their own discretion can decide to give software updates for free at anytime.

In theory, without a support contract, not even partner A would have been entitled to download anything for the customer.

However fopr Cisco the most important thing is customer satisfaction, so you can update first, buy contract later, and everyone will be happy anyway.

Thanks Paolo,

The 90 day software warranty is mentioned on page 3 of the SmartNet data sheet at the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/services/ps2827/ps2978/services_data_sheet0900aecd8042571e.pdf

The best solution would for the customer to purchase a support contract but not all customers see the value in doing so .

I do not think that I would be entitled to download the software but it would be good to find a document detailing the official Cisco position.

Does anyone have a link to such a document?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi James,

Maybe you could pose this question to Oscar from Cisco in this current

"Ask the Experts" event related to Software Downloads

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3072794#3072794

Cheers!

Huff

Thanks Rob,

I have posted the question under that thread as suggested.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: