cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

etherchannel question

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have seen this issue before and have looked all over for the answer but can't find it .  We create a etherchannel on 4 ports with the exact same config line for line , we bring up the channel 3 show say in port channel 150 and the 4th ends up int 150A .  We find no issue on our end everything is line for line .  We are thinking the issue is with the server like they have 3 nics teamed right and the 4th is not included in that team  .  What causes the extra psuedo etherchannel  in the group ????

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Glen,

I have seen this on some of our switches. It is not confined to CatOS switches.

It does not generate any real issue.

The answer that has been reported in the forums is that for some reasons the link members under  for example 150A had one minor difference at the moment of forming the bundle.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
  I have seen this issue before and have looked all over for the answer but can't find it .  We create a etherchannel on 4 ports with the exact same config line for line , we bring up the channel 3 show say in port channel 150 and the 4th ends up int 150A .  We find no issue on our end everything is line for line .  We are thinking the issue is with the server like they have 3 nics teamed right and the 4th is not included in that team  .  What causes the extra psuedo etherchannel  in the group ????

Hi Glen,

Really a good observation for which even i was also digging for exact answer for portchannel 150 and 150 A,i have got some key notes for this number in switches.

CATOS creates a CHANNEL ID number to represent the Etherchannel. This is automatically assigned and is an internal reference number. In addition to the CHANNEL ID is the ADMIN GROUP number which is used for the configuration commands.

Specifying the ADMIN GROUP number is optional when the channel is first created. An ADMIN GROUP will be automatically assigned. However, if other ports need to be added later, the command will have to include the ADMIN GROUP number.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Glen,

I have seen this on some of our switches. It is not confined to CatOS switches.

It does not generate any real issue.

The answer that has been reported in the forums is that for some reasons the link members under  for example 150A had one minor difference at the moment of forming the bundle.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe  , thats what  I wondering , if the channel was working ok when it does  this .   All ports are configured exactly the same .  I'll have to remember that if I see it again as long  as they all show as part of the channel .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: