Maximum Interfaces:          2
Cut-through Proxy:           Enabled
Guards:                      Enabled
URL-filtering:               Enabled
Inside Hosts:                50
Throughput:                  Unlimited
IKE peers:                   10

This PIX has a Restricted (R) license.

I would like to enable the 3DES/AES features, so I went to the http://www.cisco.com/go/license site and entered the serial number and requested the 3DES key.  When I enter this key, the Inside Hosts are changed to 10.  How do I go about getting 3DES and retaining the 50 hosts?  I purchased the PIX used and do not have any paperwork showing the 50 user license was additive, however I would think that by virute of the fact that I can produce a running activation key for that serial number that should be sufficient proof that the device does indeed have a 50-host license.  I emailed licensing@cisco.com but they sent me the same activation key that I generated off of the website.

Best regards,

Greg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Greg,

I found the records for the 50 user license on the PIX. I have private messaged you the details.

- Magnus

View solution in original post

Check your inbox.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you emailed licensing@cisco.com, make sure that you provide them with the existing show version output, and advise them that you require 3DES license including the existing 50 user license that you have. Licensing will cut you the appropriate activation key.

Thanks Halijenn,

I figured I should be able to do that.  In fact, I did include the show version output when I requested the license, but the person assigned to the case must have missed that detail.  I'll open a new case with licensing and make sure I point that out.

Best regards,

Greg

Halijenn,

I have sent the Show Version output to licensing (at) cisco (dot) com for a second time, and have been told (both times) that the unit was originally sold with a 10-user license, and that I need to show proof of purchase of the 50 user license (first time) or that I need to send them a different serial number (second time). The show version clearly shows it's now at 50, and there is a valid activation key for that serial number in that show version output.  Since the only way to generate that activation key for a given serial number is through Cisco's licensing tool, can't they look up that serial number against the database of what the licensing tool has generated keys for?  Is there someone at licensing I need to talk to?  This keeps getting dismissed with a one-line reply from the licensing group, it doesn't appear that they're even reading my request.

Thanks and Best regards,

Greg

Call in the TAC number and ask to speak to the case owner, and I guess you can show them the show version output directly from your PIX firewall to them so they will see it for themselves.

Greg,

I found the records for the 50 user license on the PIX. I have private messaged you the details.

- Magnus

Thanks Magnus!  Unfortunately, that was the wrong serial number, but I PM'd you the correct S/N, so if you could find the sales order on that one, I'd be very grateful.  I've been asked for that a couple of times by the licensing folks, but I don't have that as I bought the PIX used.

Best regards,

Greg

Check your inbox.

Magnus,

Again, many thanks for your help!  I was indeed able to get the proper 3DES/50-host key once I provided licensing the PAK and Sales Order number for that PIX's 50-seat upgrade.  I do actually still have the first one you looked up yesterday, so if you can find the PAK for that I should hopefully be able to fix that one too.  Details are in you PM.

Thanks again,

Greg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: