Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM server syslog

network_moi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a CSM installed on windows server, which has a syslog file defined for the given location: C:\Program Files\CSCOpx\log\syslog.log, due to which the C:\ Drive gets full and the CSM server does not respond. We then have to login by safe mode and shift the syslog file another location. After which is system is back to normal.

Is there any way to change the location of syslog file, without reinstallation.

Thanks

Raj

7 Replies 7

Scott Fringer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Raj;

It is not currently possible to change the location of the syslog.log file.  You can go into the CSM web interface and configure log rotation for the syslog.log file to keep the file within specific size limits and number of copies to keep.

You can access this section by logging into the CSM web server (not the CSM client) and navigating to Server Adminstration>Log Rotation.  You can then add the specific file (syslog.log in your case) to the list of files for rotating and then set up a schedule.  This should help in maintaining the log file size and your space issue.

Scott

Hi Scott,

We are running CMS ver 3.0.1. here I did not find any log rotation option. Please find the attachment for ur references.

Even after running those cmd syslog is still captured and old location.(C:\Program Files\CSCOpx\log\syslog.log)

To avoid the over size of the file I stopped the deamon manager service and shifted the log file to new location so that fresh log started capturing in same old location.

Any more suggestions.

Thanks

Raj

My apologies, the log rotation script has been presented within the Common Services interface in more recent versions of CSM.

Once you run logrot.pl -c and configure the syslog.log file for rotation, you will need to create a scheduled task within Windows to run logrot.pl (without -c) to perform the actual rotation.  This should then rotate the syslog.log file on the scheduled basis and to the configuration you specified.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Can u please let me in more detail how to achive this.

I did the following way:

C:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>logrot.pl

Tue May 25 19:54:54 2010: WARNING: Backup directory, 2, does not exist, or is not a directory; using G:\CSM Log instead for G:\CSM Log\syslog.log.

C:\Program Files\CSCOpx\bin>

awaiting reply,

Thanks,

Raj

Raj;

On your CSM server, you should be able to navigate to:

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Scheduled Tasks

You can then click "Add Schedueld Task" to have the wizard guide you through scheduling the task.

Should you have questions on full use of the task scheduling system within Windows, you will need to contact Microsoft for further assistance.

Scott

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can go in the CSM client under Tools and Logging Settings.

You can also make logging less detailed to save a little space.

I hope it helps.

PK

Hi PK,

Is this the log ur talking of. I tried this log time but no help. see attached file.

Any other option.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card