Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller DSL 0

Tim Roelands
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I found a config template for an annex B  (ISDN) router. Found this section in it:

controller DSL 0
mode atm
line-term cpe
line-mode auto
dsl-mode shdsl symmetric annex B
line-rate 2048

AND

interface BRI0
no ip address
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
encapsulation hdlc
ip route-cache flow
shutdown

I would like to use this (rest of it) configuration on a Cisco 867 annex A (POTS). Can I skip above commands or do I need to modify them for using with POTS?

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

None of the above applies to an ADSL configuration.

First, you ned to know if usisng PPPoE or not.

It's used in a PPPoA ADSL connection....But what are these commands for? BRI0 and DLS 0?

Hello Stendec75,

if it is DSL over ISDN  a BRI0 is what can be used on the baseband low part of bandwidth spectrum (DSL over ISDN BRI useful for example in Germany)

a controller DSL 0 is an object that allows to define some physical layer characteristics.

both the BRI and the DSL are using the same copper pair but at different frequencies

when you use ADSL over POTS there is no BRI and generally you deal with interface ATM0 rather then with controller DSL0

so as Paolo has noted you don't need both of them (the BRI and the DSL0 controller) you cannot even configure them on the new router to be correct.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card