Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple no NAT routing advice please

neilmac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks.

I have a 2960 switch with 5 VLAN's on top of the native, so it's 1 (untagged), 10,20,30,40 and 50.

I need to route these to a connection manager device that has multiple internet connections (ie, 3G, ADSL ). This device does not have 802.1Q and so no trunk port. However, it does have routing tables and will understand the IP address ranges of the different VLANS. For example, to control bandwidth, we can deny access to a particular connection (ie 3G) by setting a rule to block the IP addresses of certain subnets. So it acts like a router, but has no trunk port or sub interfaces.

I would like to ask what simple router can go between the 2960 and the connection manager device, that porivides routing but no NAT. It will connect to the switch with a trunk port so needs to support native + minimum 5 VLANS.

Could anyone please advise, I need to purchase tomorrow.

Many thanks.

NSM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

neilmac wrote:

Hi Folks.

I have a 2960 switch with 5 VLAN's on top of the native, so it's 1 (untagged), 1,20,30,40 and 50.

I need to route these to a connection manager device that has multiple internet connections (ie, 3G, ADSL ). This device does not have 802.1Q and so no trunk port.

I would like to ask what simple router can go between the 2960 and the coonection manager device, that porivides routing but no NAT. It will connect to the switch with a trunk port so needs to support native + minimum 5 VLANS.

Many thanks.

NSM

Neil

A lot depends on how much throughput you need on the router. Note all you need to check is whether the router that has the bandwidth also supports 802.1q trunking because all routers support NAT and it's up to you whether or not you turn on NAT.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

neilmac wrote:

Hi Folks.

I have a 2960 switch with 5 VLAN's on top of the native, so it's 1 (untagged), 1,20,30,40 and 50.

I need to route these to a connection manager device that has multiple internet connections (ie, 3G, ADSL ). This device does not have 802.1Q and so no trunk port.

I would like to ask what simple router can go between the 2960 and the coonection manager device, that porivides routing but no NAT. It will connect to the switch with a trunk port so needs to support native + minimum 5 VLANS.

Many thanks.

NSM

Neil

A lot depends on how much throughput you need on the router. Note all you need to check is whether the router that has the bandwidth also supports 802.1q trunking because all routers support NAT and it's up to you whether or not you turn on NAT.

Jon

Hi, Jon. I don't need a lot of bandwidth, I just need the cheapest router that will support 5 VLANS.

Do you have any model numbers ?

neilmac wrote:

Hi, Jon. I don't need a lot of bandwidth, I just need the cheapest router that will support 5 VLANS.

Do you have any model numbers ?

Neil

The 880 series routers support up to 8 vlans as do the 1800 fixed chassis series. I expect these would be the cheapest so you should be looking at those sort of routers but you still need to check with your var as to the actual prices for each.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card