cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using RSPAN to watch a VLAN

townofnewmarket
Level 1
Level 1

I have a switch in building A.  We want to capture all the audio traffic and send it to a switch in Building B.  Can I do that?

It seems simple enough to create the RSPAN VLAN, and reflector port.

Can I say "monitor session 1 source vlan 5" and then "monitor session 1 dest remote vlan 22 reflector-port fa0/21"

Cisco 3560s

The Cisco docs seem a little grey on this matter, but I've had a long day, so it may be my grey cells malfunctioning!!

I know I can monitor ALL traffic from those ports, but just trying to be efficient tells me I don't want the data traffic from the data VLAN, just the VOIP stuff.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

townofnewmarket wrote:

Yes, but I guess my bigger question is this:

Both buildings (in fact several buildings all connected via fiber) have a VLAN 5 for voice.  So if I do this, even though I am doing it on Building A's switch (issuing the monitor session command), I would be grabbing all traffic from VLAN 5 (all switches) and forwarding it to the reflector port, wouldn't I?  Which would not be what I want, so I would probably go back to just mirroring all data.

Am I correct in that assumption?

No, you will be grabbing the vlan 5 traffic off the switch in building B and sending it to the switch in building A.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

townofnewmarket wrote:

I have a switch in building A.  We want to capture all the audio traffic and send it to a switch in Building B.  Can I do that?

It seems simple enough to create the RSPAN VLAN, and reflector port.

Can I say "monitor session 1 source vlan 5" and then "monitor session 1 dest remote vlan 22 reflector-port fa0/21"

Cisco 3560s

The Cisco docs seem a little grey on this matter, but I've had a long day, so it may be my grey cells malfunctioning!!

I know I can monitor ALL traffic from those ports, but just trying to be efficient tells me I don't want the data traffic from the data VLAN, just the VOIP stuff.

Thanks.

If you have L2 adjacency between your 2 buildings then yes you could use RSPAN to send all the vlan 5 traffic to a destination port on a switch in building A. Is this what you are asking ?

Jon

Both buildings (in fact several buildings all connected via fiber) have a VLAN 5 for voice.  So if I do this, even though I am doing it on Building A's switch (issuing the monitor session command), I would be grabbing all traffic from VLAN 5 (all switches) and forwarding it to the reflector port, wouldn't I?  Which would not be what I want, so I would probably go back to just mirroring all data.

townofnewmarket wrote:

No, you will be grabbing the vlan 5 traffic off the switch in building B and sending it to the switch in building A.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card