Aironet 350 Access Point needs security

Unanswered Question
May 24th, 2010

I have been asked to help a fledgling school lock down their wireless network.  The network is currently setup as 3 Aironet 350 Access Points with operating on the same subnet distributed around the school.

These have NOT been updated or touched since the day they were installed, by all acounts.  I think they are running VXworks.  My issue is that most support links that might prove helpful seem to be broken.

A few simple questions:

Can the Aironet 350 be secured and then used with a simple shared key?  This link seems to say no, that you must have Cisco software on the user computer as well.  that certainly can't be right, can it?

I'm clearly out of my comfort zone with these, but they just don't have anyone to do this for them.  It looks like they need to be flashed to IOS and then able to use WPA but not WPA2?  I'm having trouble finding a firmware lik for the 350 as well because it's EOL.

Basically, any help or information is welcome!  I'm ready to just pull the plug on them and call them secure!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
George Stefanick Fri, 05/28/2010 - 10:25

These at best going off memory will do WEP or EAP. You best to have the school swap them out for used 1200s on EBAY... You can get them for $100 or so ...

Leo Laohoo Fri, 05/28/2010 - 18:35

George's right (+5).  You can't teach old APs new tricks.

WEP is just tooooooooooooooooo easy to crack.  Any kid-and-his-iPhone can do it.

Cisco's got a special place in their heart for schools and they do have special discounts/deals.  I recommend that for a school, an 1130 or 1140 would be the way to go.

mscherting Wed, 06/02/2010 - 14:37

350 APs (not bridges) can be converted to IOS.  Then they can do WPA-PSK TKIP.  Downside is they only have 802.11b radios.  The latest IOS they can run is old but could probably be setup with WDS using an internal RADIUS server on one.

The upgrade tool and image are still available for download.  I'm attaching a .pdf of instructions.

You need these files:

Aironet-AP-Cisco-IOS-Conversion-Tool-v2.1.exe

AP350-Cisco-IOS-Upgrade-Image-v2.img

Actions

This Discussion