NPIV enabling on MDS9513's

Unanswered Question
May 24th, 2010

Our AIX team wants to enable NPIV on both our Cisco MDS9513 directors to take advantage of there new VIOS servers.  I couldn't find any documents relating to the minimum firware requirements on the switches that support NPIV.  Does anyone know if there is a firmware minimum to support NPIV?

To enable NPIV issue these commands:

config t

npiv enable

Final question there are a lot of post on NPV and NPIV, just so I'm clear you don't need NPV enabled to use NPIV?

Thanks for any assistance.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
calopez2 Tue, 05/25/2010 - 05:10

Hello,

MDS 9513 supports NPIV.

NPV is NOT required to enable NPIV feature.

I hope this has helped you.

Regards,

Carlos

Valley911 Tue, 05/25/2010 - 08:22

My aplogizes for high jacking this thread, but I have similiar question...

We are currently using 2 MDS 9124's for our core SAN switches (A and B path). We would like to utilize NPIV on our ESX hosts/VM's. From the reading I have done we should just be able to enable NPIV via Device Manager per each switch. I would just like to confirm that this will not have any impact on the switch, ie needing a reboot etc...

Thanks in advance,

-Jason

rick.blankenshi... Thu, 06/03/2010 - 13:30

I'm using MDS 9513 with OS Release 4.1(1b). I do not see the command to enable NPIV with this version. Is NPIV already enabled?

Thanks,

Rick

dynamoxxx Sat, 06/05/2010 - 06:19

run "show feature" to see if NPIV is enabled.  If it's not you can run "feature npiv" to enable it.

rick.blankenshi... Mon, 06/07/2010 - 06:23

The command "show feature" is not valid on this release. I think that I will open a case with support and will post the solution once it is resolved.

rick.blankenshi... Thu, 06/10/2010 - 06:36

I looked in the running config to see if npiv was enabled which it wasn't.

show running config | inc npiv

To enable npiv run "feature npiv" in config mode.

To disable npiv run "no feature npiv" in config mode.

bfeeny Thu, 06/10/2010 - 18:14

You can enable npiv with no worries, it won't effect production.  It just allows the initiators to request multiple FCID's.

keystonecruiser1 Wed, 06/16/2010 - 15:08

I enabled npiv, and no impact to anything.  Actually much smoother than I expected.  Our AIX team is using the pvid feature and they are loving it.

c.walsh Fri, 02/24/2012 - 01:49

Hi,

What version of SAN-OS are you using on the 9513?

Thanks

Colin

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics: Storage Networking