Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NPIV enabling on MDS9513's

Our AIX team wants to enable NPIV on both our Cisco MDS9513 directors to take advantage of there new VIOS servers.  I couldn't find any documents relating to the minimum firware requirements on the switches that support NPIV.  Does anyone know if there is a firmware minimum to support NPIV?

To enable NPIV issue these commands:

config t

npiv enable

Final question there are a lot of post on NPV and NPIV, just so I'm clear you don't need NPV enabled to use NPIV?

Thanks for any assistance.

10 Replies 10

calopez2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

MDS 9513 supports NPIV.

NPV is NOT required to enable NPIV feature.

I hope this has helped you.

Regards,

Carlos

My aplogizes for high jacking this thread, but I have similiar question...

We are currently using 2 MDS 9124's for our core SAN switches (A and B path). We would like to utilize NPIV on our ESX hosts/VM's. From the reading I have done we should just be able to enable NPIV via Device Manager per each switch. I would just like to confirm that this will not have any impact on the switch, ie needing a reboot etc...

Thanks in advance,

-Jason

no impact at all ..

@dynamoxxx

I'm using MDS 9513 with OS Release 4.1(1b). I do not see the command to enable NPIV with this version. Is NPIV already enabled?

Thanks,

Rick

run "show feature" to see if NPIV is enabled.  If it's not you can run "feature npiv" to enable it.

@dynamoxxx

The command "show feature" is not valid on this release. I think that I will open a case with support and will post the solution once it is resolved.

I looked in the running config to see if npiv was enabled which it wasn't.

show running config | inc npiv

To enable npiv run "feature npiv" in config mode.

To disable npiv run "no feature npiv" in config mode.

You can enable npiv with no worries, it won't effect production.  It just allows the initiators to request multiple FCID's.

I enabled npiv, and no impact to anything.  Actually much smoother than I expected.  Our AIX team is using the pvid feature and they are loving it.

Hi,

What version of SAN-OS are you using on the 9513?

Thanks

Colin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: