Views
Helpful
Replies

Nortel vs Cisco.

AhmedBassiony
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Our manager give me a task to prepare a presentation about feature comparison between Cisco IP Telephony and Nortel telephony system, and the strenght points that let Cisco is better than Nortel.

The problem that I dont know have any information about Nortel system and I cant get this information, So any one have any information about that comaprison please report me,,

Waiting yours replies,,

Thanks a lot.

3 Replies 3

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Which specific platform or IP PBX size you are trying to compare

Google has a lot of info

"nortel vs cisco voip"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=go9&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=nortel+vs+cisco+voip&cts=1274772449511&aq=1&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=nortel+vs+cisco+&gs_rfai=

Dont expect someone to do all the homework for you here, please ask for more specific information about an specific product and feature

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

Technically  this is the wrong Web Site, it is a bit lile going to a  Ford only Dealship and asking a commission based salesman why Ford is a better then a Lambo......

I alway found that depending on who you ask,  will effect the outcome

• Are you asking Voice guys or data guys
  • Is your data network Cisco or other
  • What is your existing telephony infrastructure

Both systems have their merits, years ago Cisco would say that IPT was cheaper and talk about costs savings - VIOP calls etc as their system had no features when compared to any TDM system so that was their selling point - telco calls are now so cheap however the Cost approach is now dead as any IPT install will always cost you more then upgrading an existing TDM to a IPT, TDM approach

• What do you want to do with telephony - Dial Tone only  or wish to deploy other applications- Cisco i very expensive if DT is the only thing yo want to do
  • Is yours firm sale based, field based- Do you need integration into mobile devices such as Blackberry, Mobile devices, Remote working etc  
  • How many users does your company have, how many remote offices
  • If you have a central organization in international offices how important is Nortel, Cisco support. You would probably get Cisco in most countries as opposed to Nortel
  • A few years ago Nortel hooked up with MS and so since MS has the desktop, it looked that that was their way into companies since MS did not have a strong telephony presence while Nortel did but I do not think that has paid off.
  • Cisco has links in MS through OCS, the desktop guys like that
  • Cisco admin is more GUI based, Nortel is still overlays with separate programs for each area
  • Who are your telephony guys - Nortel ?so they will come out probably on the Nortel side
  • Who is going to support it - Voice, Data
  • Both use linux, less updates
  • Cisco uses many servers depending on the apps you deploy
  • Cisco can make use of VMware
  • Supplier support- Cisco potentially single Vendor support, Account Management, Nortel still separate Vendors to manage?

On a less formal  note, one of the reasons I came out in favour of Cisco when I had to do a review of Nortel, Avaya, Siemens was on the future job market         

That`s my thought anyway , hope they help

Mr. iptuser

Thanks so much for urs help, and I hope that informations being useful to me.