Views
Helpful
Replies

6120XP's and VDC's/VPC's in Nexus 7K's

gdragatsis
Level 1
Level 1

An interesting question was posed to me today which goes as follows:

If you have 4 VDC's configured in a VPC domain on a Nexus 7010, and you design for each VPC domain to have VLANS that do not overlap, and you also have 4 10GEuplinks from each FI,  then how do you:

• Connect each uplink to the 7K VPC domain?
  • Do you configure port channels in the same way, or how do you design for this?
  • Don't think there is anything different that would ned to be done from a VLAN perspective either globally or locally on each FI
  • I'm thinking the use of administrative pinning would be required. Your thoughts and why?
  • Can this be done from an N7K and or FI perspective?

ANy thoughts, comments?

GD

1 Reply 1

Manish Tandon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

GD

Are your VDC's connected to each other?

I am thinking No ..So this would make your upstream a disjoint L2.

For upstream disjoint L2, the recommendation for now is to move to switch mode on the FI for the way packet forwarding is handled.

(Note that the default switching mode on the FI is End Host Mode).

In switch mode, the upstream can be disjoint, pinning will not apply and STP will determine the path to various VLANs.

As far as vPC upstream goes, its a regular lacp port-channel from the FI. Note that the FI's are NOT vPC peers.

Btw, disjoint L2 in End Host Mode is a feature for Q1 CY2011 and that is where using pin-groups you could choose specific uplinks.

Hope it helps.

--Manish

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card